Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 144- Gwynneth

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Last Sunday really got away from me, so barely any commenting happened. Sorry guys! I’ll do better this week. I’m continuing with Blood of the Empire. At the end of the last book, Gwynneth was forced to confess to her two oldest children about her affair years before. They didn’t take it well, and a month later, Maryna is still mad at her.

When Maryna finally sent for her, Gwynneth was momentarily hopeful that her daughter had forgiven her.

Gwynneth sat across a large table from Maryna in Edric’s library, waiting to hear why she’d been summoned.

“I’d like to discuss some business, Mother,” Maryna said. Her tone was the icy, polite one she used on people she disliked. Gwynneth hated being one of them.

“Of course.” Gwynneth swallowed down her disappointment. She’d been so happy to have Maryna back, but now her daughter hated her. She hoped it wouldn’t last forever.

Tagged with: , , ,
25 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 144- Gwynneth

having issues with my computer, so I’m hoping this goes through(and not twice).

Feel bad for Gwynneth here. Hopefully Maryna can find her way to forgiving her.

2. Mothers/daughters= always a problem.

Been there. Not for such a reason, but I’ve had issues with my eldest almost since she was born. I so feel for Gwynneth! Great snippet!

Sometimes being a mom just sucks! The things we do . . . and put up with.

5. Awww, I feel sad for both of them actually. But a very powerful excerpt!

6. Looks like they have a long way to go in repairing their relationship… 🙁

7. What a shame. I hope their relationship improves.

Hey, I’m still mad at Gwynneth too! But I feel for both of them. Great snippet.

9. A tense meeting! Will it improve?

10. Hywela Lyn says:

Aw what a tense atmosphere – I do feel sorry for Gwyneth (Good Welsh name! 🙂 ) I hope their relationship can get nack on track.

11. Diane Burton says:

Charmaine has it right. Mother & daughters = problems. We bite our tongues to keep the peace. Poor Gwynneth. Yet, I feel sorry for Maryna, too.

12. chrisgrover says:

Very tense situation here. And very well done.

13. Tense meeting. So far mama is not forgiven.

This scene builds a lot of sympathy for Gwyneth. I don’t hold out as much hope for reconciliation as she does, I suspect.

15. Daryl Devore says:

Mother / daughter relationships – what more needs to be said.
    Tweeted.

16. Family is complicated. I hope the daughter comes around, but this makes her sound like one of those people that nurses a grudge for a very long time.

Now I wonder what THAT’S all about!