Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 128- Anton

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Continuing with Fall of the Titan: Anton and Maryna are now staying with Princess Keylinda in her too-large palace, and have just been invited to a big dinner in Maryna’s honor. They’re discussing the princess’s family, while Anton finds it increasingly difficult to ignore his feelings Maryna. Edited to fit.

“How many children does she have, anyway?” Anton asked.

“Six or seven, I think, most of them daughters, though her heir is a boy.”

“How old is he?” Anton hoped he sounded casual.

Maryna frowned, “I’m not sure; nineteen, twenty perhaps. I’m sure we’ll meet him at dinner.”

Anton hoped the heir was already spoken for. Now that Maryna had changed out of her Tirovor peasant dress into proper princess clothes–borrowed from one of the many daughters–her hair dressed in shiny, fluffy curls, Anton worried about whose eye she’d catch. She might be too young for marriage, but not for an engagement. He tried not to look worried.

27 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 128- Anton

Aww, Anton is so sweet. I hope he finds the courage to reveal how he feels about her. 🙂

2. I feel so bad for Anton. It will be a cruel reality for him…

Poor Anton! He really has it bad.

Poor guy. So many things are out of his control.

Such a poignant scene of longing and frustration. Well done, Christina.

If she’s not too young for an engagement, what’s he waiting for?

He knows her family would never approve, since she’s a princess expected to make a politically beneficial marriage, and he’s just a regular guy.

7. Yes – maybe he should look worried. She might notice!

8. I’m with everyone else, Anton ought to just speak UP! Enjoyed the excerpt…

9. Jealousy or concern I wonder…

10. daryldevore says:

I bet Anton plays blocker- keeping any other man from checking Mayrna out.
    tweeted.

11. Ah, young love – so hopeful, yet so afraid that the object of your love won’t feel the same. He also probably feels out of his depth.

12. That’s so very sweet.

13. Aww, I love how he’s so nervous she’ll attract the attention of other potential suitors. Time to make your move, man! 😉

He’s so sweet! I love how he’s all tentative in his questions. He’s got it baaaad! 🙂 Good for him. Go for it, Anton!

15. Diane Burton says:

Unrequited love. So sweet. Now he just has to drum up some courage. Good scene.

He’s interested but has to play it cool. lol Love the subtle questions he asked. 🙂

17. Yay! I can’t wait to read it! 😀

18. Just because he feels with way doesn’t mean he’ll get the girl. But this smipper made me root for him!

Aw, Anton. 🙂 Great snippet

20. Awww, poor guy! Great snippet!