Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 126- Maryna

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

From Fall of the Titan: After being rescued, Princess Maryna is headed out of the mountains and back home, with Anton providing security. He’s decided to take her to the first person of importance they come across, which turns out to be Princess Keylinda of Fromenberg. Greta is girl from a mountain village and Maryna’s somewhat domineering companion.

Sometimes, Greta was all right, though her mouth fell open and stayed open when Princess Keylinda’s palace, Sarbrunnen, came into view.

It occurred to Maryna that she’d probably never seen a palace before. “It’s lovely, isn’t it? It reminds me a bit of the Maxima’s palace in Allaux. I suppose Fromenberg copies Galladian architecture, as so many kingdoms do now.”

“What’s architecture?” Greta asked, “and why is one little princess living in such a huge building?”

Maryna laughed as they rode down the long, tree-lined approach to the palace. “I don’t know if she’s little, and she likely has a family, and servants of course.”

Greta shook her head and snorted, apparently finding the idea ridiculous. “No one needs that many servants.”

28 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 126- Maryna

LOL I tend to agree with Greta. Such a fun snippet! 🙂

Commoners back then found the idea of huge houses and many servants ridiculous. Commoner nowadays find the idea of huge houses and many servants ridiculous. The world has come full circle.

If you have that big of a house, you do need a lot of servants just to maintain it, however is the issue raised is one of excess in general.

Thus the divide between commoners and landed gentry! Excellent dialogue, Christina

I love her obvious awe. Nice clip, Christina.

6. daryldevore says:

I disagree – I could use that many servants!!!! Might actually have time to get some writing done — lol.
    Tweeted.

7. It is the time so well portrayed by the author so well.

Nice way of showing the palace and Greta’s character, and a bit of the social order as well.

9. Greta clearly has a lot to learn, and her common sense take on things will be fascinating all right. Great snippet!

10. Having Greta ask questions is a great way to include descriptions of the place and the characters.

11. Nice reality check. I really like the way Greta simply blurts it out.

I think I’d have to agree with Greta. Great snippet

Just read that 5 minutes ago! LOL

14. Siren X Star says:

I have to agree with Greta, for sure. Great conversation in this snippet 🙂

15. We learned a lot about Greta, and I think she’s right.

16. Well, you need a bunch of rooms just to sit around in, a couple rooms to eat in, enough bedrooms for a small army plus some extra… it all adds up.

17. aldreaalien says:

Heh, I used to have a kingdom called Maxima, until Nissan totally ruined the word for me.

I love Greta’s awe and her comment.

I’ll have to agree that it’s a bit too much to have so many servants. lol Great snippet.

19. hehe, I understand her point of view.

20. Very valid, if a little naive, points made by Greta. Good snippet.

21. Gem Sivad says:

Well if the princess has a lot of servants, I hope she pays/provides for them well. Employment then as now was a bit dicey and when one found a job in a castle, it could mean good things for everyone in the family.