Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 120- Gwynneth

Continuing with Fall of the Titans. The book begins literally the day after Winter of the Wolf ends, so Braeden, Gwynneth and her children have just escaped Teodora’s clutches, arriving at the home of Kendryk’s aunt, Princess Galena, who rules a neighboring kingdom. In the big fight with Teodora, they had to leave most of their troops behind, and the survivors have now made their way to Princess Galena’s palace. Gwynneth’s son, 13-year-old Devyn discovered his friend Trisa is badly wounded and called to Gwynneth for help.

Devyn struggled to get a pale and bleeding Trisa Torresia off her weary horse.

“Gods, what happened?” Gwynneth hurried to support Trisa’s legs, hanging from one side of the saddle. Devyn was trying to lift her down without hurting her, but that appeared to be impossible.

“Moraltans,” Trisa hissed through gritted teeth, then shrieked as Devyn pulled her down.

Gwynneth held on, and helped him lower her into the mud, grateful that Trisa was so skinny. “Run and get a doctor,” she told Devyn, scanning Trisa to see where the wound was; the mud and blood made it impossible to tell.

“I’m not leaving her,” Devyn scowled, “I’m not losing another friend.”

Gwynneth opened her mouth to argue, then changed her mind upon seeing the fear in Devyn’s eyes. “I’ll get the doctor,” she said, patting Devyn on the shoulder.

31 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 120- Gwynneth

Yuck on dropping an injured woman in the mud. I loved the line “I’m not losing another friend.”

2. Mud and blood…brings an allusion to loyalty, to a kinship formed over shared hard times. Good snippet, Christina!

This is a great snippet. Seeing what I have to look forward to as I work my way through the books 🙂

Very intriguing. Something going on between Devyn and Trissa?

There is so much about the relationships of the characters in this snippet. Fabulous snippet! 🙂

6. I admire his determination to save his friend. Terrific, intense snippet…

7. Botanist says:

Love Gwynneth’s change of mind at the end. A matter of “pick your battles” 🙂

8. Oh! I hope it’s not too late!

9. Mud and blood – very realistic.

10. Siren X Star says:

Great Snippet! Definitely want to know what happens next!

11. Mud and blood – the grim side of battle. I hope they manage to save his friend.

12. Yay Devyn! Good for him for taking initiative and helping his friend. 😀

What wonderful loyalty! Great descriptive scene, Christina!

14. The caring between the characters is so obvious.

I like his grim refusal to leave her: I’m not losing another friend.

16. Gosh, I’m so grateful for the little things in life…like being able to get treated in a sanitary hospital instead of on the muddy ground. lol. Very intense and well-written snippet!

17. daryldevore says:

Intense snippet – I coud just hear the anger – fear – protectiveness – in Devyn’s voice.
    Tweeted.

Could feel Devyn’s fear. I hope Trisa will be all right.

19. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

Gwynneth is a good mother.