Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 81- Teodora

Before I move on to snippets from Hammer of the Gods, I thought I should introduce the two new POV characters joining us in that book. Teodora has three children she’s pretty much forgotten about. But when her new general, Brynhild Mattila, insists that Teodora remain behind in the capital, Teodora decides she needs a spy in Mattila’s camp. Fortunately, thirteen-year-old Elektra is in need of an adventure.

When Elektra entered the room, it was plain she was frightened.

Teodora looked her over critically. Short and dumpy, her face lacked definition and her hair was stringy and of some mousy hue. She was not empress material, but she would have to become one anyway, at some point.

“Sit,” Teodora gestured to a chair.

Elektra sat down on the edge and fidgeted with the end of her braid.

“I have a job for you,” Teodora said. “Your first official one as an archduchess and as my heir.”

Elektra’s eyes widened at that, though Teodora saw fear rather than anticipation.

“I’ve decided to send you with General Mattila when she goes north.”

40 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 81- Teodora

Elektra doesn’t sound like type to enjoy traipsing around with an army.

2. Peter Vialls says:

I read the intro, about Elektra being in need of an adventure. Reading the snippet makes me think that it is Teodora who thinks Elektra needs to have an adventure, rather than Elektra. Let’s hope Teodora’s right and Elektra can rise to the affair. Entertaining snippet – thanks!

Yes, Elektra is very happy where she is, but is being kicked out of the nest. She will rise to the occasion- well, let’s just say it will take many occasions for her to prove herself.

3. astonwest says:

Somehow, I don’t think Teodora is keeping Elektra’s best interests in mind when making this decision. Fun snippet.

Oh, I’m curious as to how Elektra will handle this mission. Nice snippet! 🙂

I love how different Elektra is from Theodora. Although her mother dismisses her, I have great hopes for that girl.

6. Botanist says:

From mention of spies in the camp I’m guessing there’s a lot of intrigue going on. It sounds to me like Elektra needs (rather than wants) this experience in order to survive later on.

Uh-oh! Hope Elektra is up to the task!

8. S. M. Pace says:

Poor Elektra! Sounds like she has a lot to live up to.

Oh my. How will she survive this adventure. Should prove interesting.

10. danijace says:

Betting this is cause a great transformation of Electra 🙂

11. “She was not empress material…” Love that, and I hope (for Elektra’s sake) that she proves her mother wrong.

12. Elektra’s had a hard start in life, what with Teodora for a mother 😉 Good thing the empress wasn’t too involved in her children’s lives, at least up till this point.

Marcia

Well T made a mistake! 😀

Not sure from this snippet, but I wonder if Elektra even knew who her mother was. Wonder why Elektra looked like she was scared if she really is in need of an adventure? Intriguing, must read more to get some answers.

Yes, Elektra knows who her mother is, but rarely interacts with her or sees her at all. This might be the first time they’ve ever been alone together. The adventure is very much Teodora’s idea- Elektra is happy where she is.

15. Gak, what a mommy dearest moment!! Her scrutiny of the girl shows a lot about her character. Poor girl!

16. Great description of the mousy girl – but I’m guessing there’s more to her than stringy hair.
    Tweeted.

17. elainecsc2013 says:

I can’t decide if she has the girl’s best interests at heart, but I think not.

18. You’d think she’d help her heir put some effort into the surface issues, instead of just judging… But no, we’re going for the all-in approach. That always turns out well…

I think Elecktra will rise to this occasion, although I doubt she believes it now. Blood will out. Great snippet!

20. With a mother like that, who needs enemies? Clearly maternal love is very much lacking. A great snippet.

21. Poor Elektra. She has no idea what she’s in for. :S I can’t wait for Hammer of the Gods!!!

22. Uh oh — crappy hair and a heart full of fear. I can’t wait to see if Elektra grows into her birthright!

23. Sara Barnard says:

So here she is, terrified and no doubt feeling weighted in present company. Now, an order like that? All the makings of a great book, well done!! (As usual!)

24. This really makes me want to find out how this mission will transform Elektra into someone who better fits her name! Great snippet.