Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 50- Kendryk

I can’t believe it’s my 50th post! I’ve rarely missed a Sunday since I joined this group nearly a year ago. I’m addicted, apparently.

So, I’ll do one more snippet from Valley of the Shadow. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to find even a few sentences that aren’t total spoilers for Rise of the Storm. Although if you’re one of the fortunate few who’s read to the end of it, this little bit might give you hope. *evil cackle*

This is very near the beginning of Valley of the Shadow, which I’ve just realized needs another 20k words or so added to it so it makes sense.  It’s going to be a very long book. Kendryk wakes up in considerable pain, unsure of where he is and what exactly happened in the recent past. Someone hovering over him introduces herself as Kamyla, a doctor. Kendryk doesn’t recognize her and asks if she works for him.

“I do not; I’m very sorry.”

He didn’t know why she would be. He tried to be a good employer, but if someone didn’t want to work for him, he wouldn’t hold it against them.

“It’s all right,” he said, attempting a smile.  “Who do you work for then?”

“Oh dear; you don’t remember what happened, do you?”

Kendryk carefully shook his head. It felt like rocks were rolling around where his brain should be.

“Hmm,” she said. “I don’t wish to upset you because it might kill you.”

If you’re dying to know what’s going on with Kendryk, you need to read Rise of the Storm now. Or if you’re the patient sort, I reckon I can get to the end of it in snippets in another 50 posts or so. In any event,  I’ll get back to it next week, I promise!

31 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 50- Kendryk

Ooo! that’s a good one to whet your whistle with!

2. Whitney says:

Holy heck, this is quite the snippet, and also quite the achievement! Congrats on your 50th snippet. 🙂

“I don’t wish to upset you because it might kill you.” You’ve got to be kidding–that’s her way of not upsetting him? This woman has no bedside manner!

And she’s the nicest person Kendryk will run into for a long time! Though to be fair, back in the day bedside manner was pretty much, “Hold him down while I saw off that gangrenous leg.” 🙂

I am with Ed on this one! She just wants to give him a heart attack?

Love the detail about rocks rolling around in his head, that’s terrific…and so is the whole snippet!

6. It’s always something, right. Rocks in your head, uh if you’re told what’s wrong you’ll die. Stuff like that. Well done, Christina.

7. pmillhouse says:

Great Eight, Christina. 50 snippets? This is a fantastic writing group.

8. Oh, Kendryk… You are going to be sooooo unhappy when you figure out what’s going on. And congratulations on 50 snippets!

Gaaah! According to my Kindle I’m 80% through Rise of the Storm, and now my anxiety level for Kendryk has just gone through the roof! Okay Bye- must go read. (PS- write faster!)

10. Not a good sign if explaining would kill him.

11. Ominous and mysterious! She’s probably upsetting him with her comments more than she would if she tells him the truth…fascinating excerpt.

12. Might kill him? (cue dramatic music.) That’s a great line.

13. You tease!! But such a great cliffhanger;). Love all the questions you leave the reader with and I’m intrigued by her. Great snippet.

14. Whoa, if that last line doesn’t wake him up, I don’t know what will! Nice buildup of anticipation here, and yet yes, you manage not to give away the farm. Great snippet. 🙂

15. AWESOME!!!! Can’t tell you, it’ll kill you. LOVE!!!

16. Love it, “because it might kill you.” Nice touch!!! Sorry I’m so late, EMD training this week and a test wiped me out! Congrats on your 50th post!!! I love reading them!!!

17. Wow! That’s a humdinger of a tease, Christina! 🙂 I need to make time to read Rise of the Storm, or I’m going to be so far behind when you release this one!