Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 41- Janna

Janna’s idyllic country existence is quickly coming to an end. Last week, the old woman’s family arrived, having been kicked out of their house in another town. The next morning, Janna finds Gerda the wife by herself in the kitchen, convinced that Janna is after her husband. Edited to fit.

Gerda turned toward her, holding a wooden spoon like a weapon. “It’s plain as day, isn’t it?”

“What is?” Janna backed  into a corner of the tiny kitchen.

“That you’re looking for another man. Useless little thing like you can’t get by without one.”

“I can,” Janna whispered. “I did.”

“Well, you’re not having mine.”

“I . . I don’t want yours; I swear it,” Janna said.

Unfortunately, Janna is no match for Gerda and her spoon, so she and Anton have to hit the road.

29 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 41- Janna

Poor Janna! Summed up and dismissed. I hate how that happens!

I thought the contrast between Janna and Gerda was pretty good right there. One of the clearest pictures I got of Janna’s personality.

3. pmillhouse says:

Nice show of conflict, Christina. Drew me right in.

This just goes to prove the old adage: Never confront a woman carrying a loaded wooden spoon.

5. Frank Fisher says:

Oh yes, Janna is in trouble! I like how Gerda saw through Janna’s intentions. And spoons make effective weapons. Great snippet!

6. How funny! I wouldn’t want him either.

7. Some women are like that and what you’ve written is so true, whether it’s this century or past. Janna will start over and better elsewhere. I say-you go girl!

Not the spoon! ;D Love the dialogue, Christina, great snippet!

9. So visual, Christina! You really show Gerda’s anger and how it intimidates Janna. Nicely done!

10. Poor Janna, got to hate assumptions like that. Also, I consider wooden spoons wielded by jealous women as lethal as any knife.

11. Sarah W says:

Ugh, like Gerda’s husband is a prize. 😛

I wish Janna would take that spoon away and whack Gerda with it . . . though I’m sure that wouldn’t help matters much.

12. Wonderful exchange, Christina! Love how she was backed into a corner and called out — now to see what the rest of her story is!! Wonderful excerpt!

Great scene. I even feel for Gerda a bit- in these unsettled times it might be threatening to have a pretty young widow hanging around.

14. Because her husband is such a prize, women throw themselves at him constantly… But perhaps they have, in the past. Who knows?

15. Sad when a good situation turns ugly. I had to laugh along with everyone else at the woman regarding her husband as such a prize! Excellent excerpt!

16. ralfast says:

No wonder they got kicked out. Jealousy can drive anyone mad.

17. Uh oh, Janna is on the prowl, huh? No actually it’s all in the mind I’m sure. Very rinteresting snippet.

18. Eden says:

I have no doubt that Janna’s interest in Gerda’s husband is close to nil. However… she DID want his bed… without him in it, and that might be threatening enough to Gerda, because… these are trying times.