Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 37- Braeden

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

The Landrus trial continues, though it’s getting close to a verdict. I might have to spend a few weeks in Braeden’s pov to wrap it up without engaging in half-page explanations prior to the eight sentences. Braeden observes Kendryk’s testimony and notices that Teodora is increasingly distracted.

Even Flavia Maxima’s hatchet face softened visibly when young, earnest Prince Kendryk testified. He spoke of Father Landrus’s good character and his loyalty to both faith and temple. Already popular, Kendryk made a good impression on the audience, and judging by the many big words he used, seemed to have a firm grasp of theology.

To Braeden’s surprise, Teodora wasn’t upset by the sight of Kendryk or the friendly reception he received. She no longer seemed to care about the trial’s outcome and it was clear she wanted it to end quickly. Atlona was now directly threatened by  the army of Andor Korma.  According to the latest message from the capital, he had crossed the Olvisyan border and no one stood in his way.

Braeden has already gently suggested leaving the trial and going back in hopes of stopping Korma, but I thought I’d spare you the empress-tantrum that provoked. I can’t give away ALL of the tantrums before the book comes out. 🙂

38 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 37- Braeden
  1. Whitney says:

Another great snippet as usual. Did you do a lot of research for this segment of your novel in particular? I guess that I’m saying that you make it look like you know what you’re talking about when it comes to your setting, old-school politics, and the justice system. I just make stuff up as I go and will go back later and sprinkle in things that are more legit. 🙂

Thanks! I mostly made it up. I’ve done a lot of reading about the Protestant Reformation and recently, early modern European political and military history, so I think all of that bleeds into my descriptions sometimes. Part of the reason I’ve done this as fantasy is because portraying it accurately would be confusing and possibly boring.

Hmmm. I don’t trust Teodara one bit! Why has she lost interest? But it looks like more trouble is on the way. Excellent snippit, thank you for sharing.

Thank you! Teodora has come to the uncomfortable realization that she made a mistake attending the trial when there was a far greater threat on her front door. Of course, she can’t admit to making a mistake, so she has to tough out the rest of the trial while being distracted and worried.

3. Fantastic descriptions and work as always! Great eight!

I love Braeden’s impression that because Kendryk uses a lot of big words, he must know what he’s talking about. You’re so good at weaving in bits of character reveal while the action marches on.

5. They’re moving slowly into a battle. Good descriptions!

6. chuffwrites says:

According to the latest message from the capital, he had crossed the Olvisyan border and no one stood in his way.

I love that sentence, very suspenseful!

7. Frank Fisher says:

I felt the suspense throughout this snippet. It’s nice to get a sense of Braeden’s journey. Teodora is a mean one, but you are doing well not revealing all of her tantrums. It builds the anticipation when this book comes out.

8. Eleri Stone says:

I kind of like the empress tantrums in a perverse way. She’s a really interesting character. They all are:)

9. Sarah W says:

Nothing like an attaching army to distract one from railroading a priest into a death sentence. Or so I hear. 😀

This continues awesome, Christina! 🙂

10. ralfast says:

No wonder she is so insecure. She knows she not as in control as she thinks she is.

11. Teodora better get moving if this enemy is marching along unopposed! Interesting development, enjoyed the excerpt.

12. So many good things going on in this snippet. And I’m late to the party and everyone has already commented on them. 🙂 You know I’m rooting for Father Landrus. 🙂

13. A very thorough snippet covering all the characters needs and peculiarities. Super good snippet.

14. caitlinstern says:

She’s already decided the outcome doesn’t matter, after all. She’ll do what she wants anyway.

Yeah, she thinks the trial will end the way she wants it to, so now she just wants to get out of there. she would just hate it if anyone thought she was scared.

15. normandiea says:

Sounds very exciting. I’m looking forward to some tantrums!

16. Aheïla says:

I like Braeden’s voice as he relates what others are doing. He’s obviously interested, but it’s more factual than emotional, which hints at unspoken opinions (or a hint of judgement). It makes me want to dig deeper into that character.

I’m so glad his voice came through for you! I was a bit concerned that I was sacrificing voice for clarity, with so much information to get through. It was kind of fun to write this scene from the perspective of someone who wasn’t emotionally invested, but has feelings about it that no one else cares about. 🙂

17. Very intriguing, I love your snippets. It sounds like Braeden better get out of there. I would have enjoyed seeing the tantrum also. 😉

18. Another fabulous snippet filled with subtext and intrigue. I’m curious to see what is going through her mind;).