Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 19- Gwynneth

wewriwaHope everyone had a lovely holiday. We’re still celebrating, since all of the family didn’t make it at one time. We’re also enjoying being in one place for more than two days at a time.

Even though I’ve been terribly lazy, I didn’t want to miss out on Weekend Writing Warriors. Click on the link to see the full list.

Last week, we left Kendryk terribly worried that he would be forced into a confrontation with the empress. Gwynneth sees it as an opportunity for Kendryk to take advantage of the empress while she’s distracted with a number of other problems, so she’s trying to persuade him to assert the somewhat nebulous rights he holds under an ancient imperial charter.

“But what will you do if Teodora simply orders you to send Father Landrus straight to her?”  Gwynneth asked.

“Perhaps I can respond with a counteroffer to buy some time,” Kendryk said, looking rather distressed at the idea.

“Don’t bother with all of that- just tell her what you intend to do and refer her to your charter if she objects.”

“I sometimes think you should be the ruler,” Kendryk said, and slid an arm around her waist. “You’d be better at it.”

“Oh, that;s ridiculous- you’re quite good at it yourself,” Gwynneth said, though she was pleased.  “In fact, you’re very like my father, always weighing the risks and making very careful decisions. I’m afraid I didn’t inherit much of that.”

26 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 19- Gwynneth

Every WiWra post I’ve visited today has some fantastic dialogue, and yours is no exception, Christina! Nicely done!

2. ralfast says:

If Teodora is anything like the real one, things might not go so smoothly. Great job!

3. That is a rather direct approach). Not sure if that’ll go over well with the empress. Great dialogue and great 8.

4. I can picture the scene so well the way you’ve used the dialogue. Good job.
    And a Happy New Year.

I like Gwynneth and her straight-forward approach. Seems to be what Kendryk needs. Another great snippet. I’m in Eugene. Hope it’s a little less grey and drizzly down in KF.

They make such a complimentary couple. Are they ever at cross purposes in the midst of all this?

7. Great dialog, Christina. I like how this story keeps building.

It’s nice that you get to park the truck for a few days–and to spread out the holiday celebration. Happy New Year– much happiness, love, and success to you in 2015!

8. An interesting discussion, loved how their personalities shone through their dialog. Excellent excerpt and happy holidays!

9. Wow! I always have a hard time with dialogue, so I am very impressed with yours 🙂 great snippet!

10. What?? A man who can acknowledge a woman can be politically inclined?! Good for him! I like how they are so respectful of each other. Not just in the dialogue, but in the subtle way he slips his arm around her waist. And the fact that she is pleased by his praise, but doesn’t let it go to her head. So much conveyed in only eight sentences. Great job!

Happy New Year!

11. Elsa Holland says:

Great dialogue. I got a real sense of plot and character and their affection for each other. Wow a lot to pack into 8 sentences, well done as usual 🙂

12. Aheïla says:

Interesting dialogue that shows off your characters. They seem like a team who can navigate a fairly complex situation.

13. Great dialogue here. This continues to show how Kendryk needs reassurance before taking over, and also how loving both of them are toward each other. Love it!