Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 153- Natalya

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Continuing with Blood of the Empire, we’re back to Natalya, squeezing money and concessions out of the treacherous Princess Viviane.

After drawing up documents forcing Viviane to pay reparations to Terragand for Prince Kendryk’s death, Natalya also drafted a new treaty. Princess Viviane wished to declare neutrality, but Natalya wasn’t having it.

“You must swear to support Terragand in its fight against the empire until the war is completely over. Since we have Teodora in custody I’m sure she’ll sign terms soon,” Natalya said, pushing the paper across the table toward Viviane.

Princess Viviane scanned the document, her face sour, “I have no troops to contribute.”

Natalya smiled, saying, “Money is more helpful right now. Since we have plenty of troops, your financial support will be most appreciated. I’ll be sure to remind Princess Maryna that the gods encourage forgiveness, even of the most awful crimes.”

Princess Viviane hesitated, quill in hand, but Natalya stared at her until she signed.

“See? That wasn’t so hard,” she smiled again as Viviane shoved the paper toward her, hatred in her eyes.

Tagged with: , , ,
32 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 153- Natalya

Natalya had been check that there’s no poison in amongst the monetary payment.

Oh, I can feel the sizzle of tension in this snippet. Well done! 🙂

Good on you, Natalya. Now, just make sure she doesn’t stab you in the back.

4. daryldevore says:

That ended on a tense note. Tweeted.

Such a tense scene. I’d be careful if I were Natalya. I’d suspect treachery somewhere from Viviane.

6. Botanist says:

Hmmm … I wonder just how much a signature is worth when it’s given under duress? She’ll be looking for any way to get out of it.

Not an ally I’d be thrilled to have, but I suppose her money is good. Enjoying the clash between these two calculating women.

8. And I’d guess Viviane is counting the days until she can get her revenge for being forced to capitulate here. Great snippet!

9. Nothing can make up for losing Kendryk!!! *Weeps*

10. Eden says:

There’s going to be payment… that’s a definite. But I’m not so sure the troops will be getting it.

11. One tough woman, or is it two?

12. Jess Schira says:

I can’t get over how much tension you managed to pack into a few sentences. Also, I sense some foreshadowing here. Great snippet, Christina!

A taut, powerful scene that plays out like a chess game. Nicely done, Christina.

14. Diane Burton says:

Natalya has the upper hand now. I hope she can keep it. She’s made a powerful enemy.

I forgot to sign up in time, but I did post. http://dianeburton.blogspot.com/

15. Hywela Lyn says:

Great scene – you can, as they say, almost cut the tension with a knife! I forgot to signp to, so left my post until next week.

16. elainecsc2013 says:

Tense! No lost love between those two.

That woman’s gonna cause a problem, isn’t she!!!

18. Oh my, I need to catch up on this series, Christina. I just bumbled into a serious spoiler. 🙂

But, Teodora is in custody–and that is worth the read even f Kendryk is gone. 🙂

19. So much hatred there. Very emotional snippet! I’d be worried about this forced compliance coming back to bite them someday, though.