Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 141- Elektra

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

I’m finally back! It’s so nice to be writing again and to be back on the hop. I really missed you guys. If you aren’t caught up on the drama, you can read my posts for the past few months. Thanks to everyone who followed along and lent me their support, both moral and financial. Writers really are the best!

At this point, I’m working flat out on the severely belated conclusion to my series. Book Six is called Blood of the Empire, and I’m somewhere in the middle of the first draft. Hopefully I can get it finished during NaNoWriMo. It picks up shortly after the end of Fall of the Titan. Teodora was captured and spent a few months in the dungeon. Serves her right! After being defeated, General Mattila escaped from the battlefield with Elektra, and headed straight to where Teodora is being held prisoner. Now they’re about to negotiate her release.

At first Elektra didn’t recognize Teodora, she was so gaunt, her head shaved. Her eyes were the worst though, hollow and a strange, flat shade of black. When they met hers, Elektra found herself shrinking back, though she forced herself to look happy.

“I’m glad you’re all right, Mother,” she said, taking a chair next to her.

“What are you doing here?” Teodora asked, no hint of any emotion on her face.

“It’s a long story.” Elektra wasn’t looking forward to telling it. “Let’s get you out of here first.”

“Yes, let’s.” Teodora turned away and didn’t look at her again.

28 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 141- Elektra

Well, Teodora doesn’t seem too happy to have her there to help her escape. I wonder if she’ll ever be grateful.

Welcome back, Christina. I’ve been following your struggles off and on, and I’m glad you can see your way to rejoin us.

3. Prison life was definitely hard for Teodora. I wonder how much it has changed her. Welcome back, Christina.

Glad to see you back!! If I was Elektra, I don’t know that I’d try too hard to get her released. Teodora definitely doesn’t seem too grateful.

5. Diane Burton says:

Welcome back, Christina. You portray Teodora very well. The life of a prisoner had to be horrendous. She’s stifled all her emotions. I’d bet she’s had her hopes of release dashed too many times to get excited now.

Welcome back! Yeah, I don’t think time in prison will have done anything to improve Theodora’s disposition. Leave her in there, I say.

7. Welcome back!
    A tense scene, not exactly a warm and loving family reunion!

8. Welcome back!! You were missed (but Teodora wasn’t 😉 )

9. Great to see you back to snippet-ing! Ooh, the description of Teodora makes me shiver, lots more to come, no doubt. HUG! Enjoyed the excerpt.

10. Hywela Lyn says:

This is my first introduction to this story, but your snippet drew me right in. cant wait to read more now. Sorry to learn you’ve been having a rough time, but glad things seem to be settling down for you now1

11. Welcome back. Love the snippet. Theodora seems awfully traumatized.

12. Teodora is a scary mother, for sure! Being a prisoner can’t be fun, but it sounds like something broke inside her…

Welcome back! 🙂

So glad things have finally fallen into place for you. My guess is you’ll have that book whipped into shape before you know it! You’re hungry for it! 😉

Moving is the WORST!!! Glad you found you’re way back to us with this intriguing snippet. Missed you!

15. It still sort of amazes me that Elektra would even want to save her mother. Her kingdom, maybe… I’m not up to date with all of the books, yet. Maybe something has changed between them. 🙂

You know that I am so happy you’re back! 🙂

Not much has changed in their relationship, but Elektra is still being forced into uncomfortable situations by those more powerful than her. And she has mixed feelings about her mother being treated like a criminal, even though she is. 🙂 I’m very happy to be back!