Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 137- Carina

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Shield of Kings is off to beta readers- a huge relief! I’ll continue with Carina’s chapters for now. I don’t want to give away too many other characters, since a number of them include Book Six survivors. 🙂

Last week, Carina was hoping to help the rebellion by securing the navy against the king. She’s approached the docks with a small crowd behind her. Edited to fit.

A few royal guards loitered on the approach to the first ship and Carina’s heartbeat sped up.

“What do you want?” the biggest of the guards asked, stepping into her path.

Carina lifted her chin and said, “I’m Carina Felsing, Countess of Malven, and a member of the ruling council; we’re taking temporary command of the navy.”

The guard frowned, but didn’t step aside in spite of the uncertainty in his eyes. “Did King Arryk put you in charge?”

“King Arryk is leaving the capital after failing to resolve his differences with the rest of the government.” At least Carina hoped that was true; she was certain he’d do anything necessary to save the queen’s life. “The ruling council will run the government and the military until an agreement with the king can be reached.”

Carina kept her chin raised and her voice firm, even though she was making this up as she went along. The two hundred-member council had dissolved into chaos after the king stormed out, and before any further plans could be made.

31 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 137- Carina

Yikes! I wonder if he’ll believe Carina. A great snippet! 🙂

The lady has balls, I’ll give her that.

She seems to be taking a lot on faith here. Intrigued to see how this goes.

4. Good for her! I like her spunk.

5. Love the voice of these characters! I’m curious about what happens next. 🙂

6. She’s got balls. Great snippet!

Wow! What if the doesn’t believe her? Carina is one gutsy lady!

That’s one tough countess. Great tension in this scene.

9. She stood her ground and no doubt won! Wonderful!

I’m curious to know if her acting skills will be enough for him to believe her. Great snippet.

Great bluff!! She almost had me believing she was in charge. Can’t wait to see what happens!

She’s doing a great job flying by the seat of her pants! Hope her scheme works!

13. The lady is brave that’s for sure. Hope they believe her.

14. Love the way she is maintaining her bravado!

15. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

Chin up, voice firm, yes, that’s the way to take charge.

16. Hywela Lyn says:

Wow, I don’t think I’d be as cool and collected in that situation, great snippet, Christina!

17. That’s a big bluff. Hope she can make it work.

18. daryldevore says:

Hopefully he’ll believe her even though she’s making it up on the fly. Tweeted.
    Saw you are reading Murder Must Advertise. I adore Lord Peter and think D.L. Sayers is fabulous.

19. She’s brave – I hope she can carry this mad plan off through sheer boldness. She’s made a good beginning. Great snippet!

20. For making it up, she’s doing a pretty good job. Here’s hoping they buy it!

21. Wow, she’s going to be major trouble, isn’t she? 😀

22. Carina is an interesting character. I picture her shaking in her shoes while she tries to pull the wool over him. 🙂

23. aldreaalien says:

She’s gonna pay for this later, I’m certain of it. But such guts!

24. Diane Burton says:

Lots of guts in this lady. I hope her bluff holds.