Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 136- Carina

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Oof. It’s been a rough week. I’d planned to have Shield of Kings done and off to beta readers by the end of Memorial Day, but it was not to be. I ran into a hitch at the end, one that requires some brainpower to resolve, and thanks to a severe, ongoing asthma attack, the brain is on standby until further notice. I’m trying not to panic, and know the brain will shortly follow the lungs back to working order, whenever that happens.

In the meantime, here’s a bit more from Shield of Kings. While the king and queen pack up and leave before an angry mob arrives, on the other side, Carina Felsing is trying to make the most of the situation.

“Come on,” Carina shouted, breaking into a run. She had to reach the docks before the guards there realized something was wrong. Only one member of the ruling council had followed her, but a handful of onlookers joined them as they left the big council chamber of Arenberg’s government hall.

Carina had rushed outside, hurrying in a different direction from the rest of the crowd. She knew who they were after, but hadn’t been able to make them see that the queen didn’t really matter. Even if they killed her today–that thought made Carina feel a little sick–it wouldn’t solve the real problem. If anything, it would make matters worse.

She wasn’t a council member, but always took her husband’s seat when he was away. She wished Tor were here now; he’d keep cool and come up with a good plan. Carina couldn’t ever keep her head from getting much too warm in an emergency; she was sure by now her face was red as a ripe beet’s, and the heat made it hard to think.

35 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 136- Carina

Conflict galore. Riveting snippet.

Great character insight! Hope you’re feeling better soon!

Sending get-well fairies, Christina.
    Very dramatic, you had me breathless. Good job

Hope everything gets back to working order for you soon!

Exciting snippet this week.

5. daryldevore says:

Exciting snippet – fast paced and full of wo

6. daryldevore says:

– somehow I hit send before finishing comment? So let me try again – Exciting snippet – fast paced and full of wonderful tension. There – whew!
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Tweeted.

7. Sorry about your asthma.
    I enjoyed the detail about her glowing face.

8. Asthma-phooey; writing exciting.How is that for a comment.

9. Feel better! Carina’s reaction is very intriguing and raises all kinds of questions inagoodway – can’t wait to learn more. This is a really high stakes situation all right.

10. Siren X Star says:

I hope you feel better soon! This was intense and I was kind of holding my breath as I read.

I love how you show both sides of the conflict. I immediately like this character and can relate to the warm-head syndrome!

I can’t resist showing both sides, it seems. Makes it hard to find a bad guy in this case, though I manage eventually. I think I was having a hot flash when I wrote this part. 🙂

12. I hope you feel better soon! The snippet was tense, and I love how she says she can’t think of a plan but at the same time she’s guiding people.

13. Good snippet full of tension, and she’s a nice character. I’m glad you feel well enough to write.

Sounds like she’s stepping up just fine! Enjoyable snippet. Feel better soon!

15. When people are scared, they get lazy–they want an easy target. Hope she can convince the mob to think, though historically, that’s really difficult!
    Good luck with your writing–and feel better soon!

16. Eeee I’m so excited! I hope you feel better soon! 😀

So much conflict. I’m excited to know what she’ll do.

Hope you feel better.

Hope you’re feeling better now.
    Very intense snippet. Hope things can be worked out without anyone dying(hahaha. never mind).

19. Sorry you’re ill. Get better soon! Great snippet though, regardless!!

20. Diane Burton says:

I hope you feel better. Asthma is very difficult. Saw it in my son for years. Great snippet. Good insight into her character.

21. Great snippet. Sorry for the delay. Everything in it’s time.

22. aldreaalien says:

Great snippet.

I hope you’re feeling better!