Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 130- Maryna

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

I have a cover! Scroll past the snippet to see. Last time we checked in with Anton, he was worried Maryna might marry someone else. Now they’ve talked about it, and Maryna has just told him that she’d totally love to marry him someday, though she already knows her mother won’t approve. Severely edited from final version.

Anton’s face lit up. “I can’t believe it,” he whispered, “you’re a princess and I’m nobody.”

“Don’t say that,” Maryna leaned toward him, “you’ve done well for yourself and you’ll do even better. I’m terribly proud of you.”

“You’ve just made me very happy.” Now Anton was beaming. “If I have even a tiny bit of hope, I’ll work so hard and become so famous no one will think twice if you choose me.”

“I know you will.” Maryna wanted to fling herself right at him and kiss him.

Anton looked like he wanted to kiss her too, but gripped the arms of his chair, as if he needed to hang on to stay put.

26 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 130- Maryna

I don’t know the characters’ ages here, but they seem rather young, as though his pledge will become a driving force in his life and in this book.

He’s seventeen, and she’s a precocious fourteen. So they still have a few years before they can realistically consider marriage, and you know what they say about the best-laid plans …

I love the innocence and intensity of their affection. I can’t wait to see how they manage as they get older.

Oh, how sweet! And what a fabulous cover! Congrats! 🙂

Awwwww, young love. And I know it can’t be that easy.

5. Aww, what a great scene. Captures the innocence and the ambitious nature of young love so perfectly. Congrats on the fantastic cover!!

When you’re that young, there are no obstacles you can’t overcome. At least you think that. I hope they stay true to this ideal. Stunning cover!

7. daryldevore says:

Great snippet – the youthful passion.
    Fabulous cover.
    Tweeted.

8. Sounds like a high bar to clear. I’m sure he can do it!

9. I like their mutual optimism, not sure if events will go in their favor, but at least they’re united right now. Great snippet!

10. I love this and them. So kiss already! Lovely writing, Christina.

11. They are very young and I’m sure you have a lot of troubles in store for them!

Sweet scene and your cover is awesome!

13. Diane Burton says:

Awww. Young love, so tender and precarious. Love your cover. Very bold.

14. Young love is so sweet and so full of promise. I hope that age does not bring cynicism. Love the cover!

15. Ah to be young and optimistic. I love your cover.

16. Oh, young love… Life has a way of stomping on it.
    Nice cover! 🙂

Sweet young love. I’m intrigued to know if more will come of it.
    I like how he grips the chair to keep himself from reacting on impulse. 🙂

18. Gah! That cover, I love it! I can’t wait for this book!

19. YAY! At least they have hope–for now. 🙂 I like this story twist, Christina!