Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 118- Elektra

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

This week, I’ll finally share a snippet from my WIP, Fall of the Titans, Book 5 in The Desolate Empire Series. At the end of book 4, Teodora’s daughter Elektra acted heroically to save a friend’s life, forcing her to switch sides again. She’d been in the process of becoming allies with King Lennart who’s sworn to take Teodora down. Pretending to reconcile with her mother, she’s gone home with Teodora and is alone in her room, thinking about what to do next.

She was on her own. No one had ever cared about her for herself; they only cared about her position as Teodora’s heir, or as Lennart’s ally. Elektra needed to stop hoping for love, for friendship, and decide what she wanted. Then she needed to take it.

She pushed open the window and leaned out, letting the icy wind caress her face. Her mother thought she was weak–let her. From now on, Elektra would take advantage of that.

She turned away from the window and faced the darkened room. No more wishing for what couldn’t be. It was time to take matters into her own hands.

39 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 118- Elektra

She has great determination! I hope she gets what she wants in taking her mother by surprise. 🙂

Yay! Good for her. She’s one of my favorites. 😉

This is one of your better snippets. I especially liked how she plans to use her mother’s low opinion of her; I’m not sure exactly how or why she’ll let her mother underestimate her, but it could be a great scene..

Thank you! I’m always a little leery of writing too much internal monologue. Maybe I shouldn’t be. 🙂 Teodora underestimates her daughter constantly, so it’s mostly a matter of finding the right moment to take advantage of that.

Nice peek into her internal monologue.

5. Love, love, love this scene! It’s easy to see the strength she possesses inside her. Now she needs to find a way to unleash it. Let them think she’s weak, and then…bam! 😀 Fantastic!

6. Her resolve rings through loud and clear. I feel sorry for her, based on her past, but I’m hopeful about her future! Great snippet.

You Go, girl! What a strong statement of intention. Great job, Christina!

8. Botanist says:

This sounds like a vital turning point. Great when people stop being everyone else’s puppet and choose to be themselves.

9. Good for her! Now what does she want?

10. We all have inner thought and you have used this so well, Christina. Mother/daughter relationships can be so unpleasant, unfortunately. Outstanding snippet.

11. Hmmm…intriguing. I always felt sorry for Elektra. But this could be one of those weird twists of life. Despising her mother for what she is–Elektra just might become her mother if she grasps power for herself, any way she can.

Fantastic writing, Christina!

12. Gem says:

This is a very “I am woman hear me roar” scene. Well done!

13. Diane Burton says:

All right! Go, girl. Great snippet.

14. As you hinted above, she can go in either direction. Either towards her mother’s ways, or against them. Moral dilemma indeed. Great writing, Christina.

15. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

So lonely, yet so courageous.

16. Loving her determination. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

17. It doesn’t seem like an easy path to follow, but maybe she can win some independence for herself. I hope she does!

18. elainecsc2013 says:

This sounds like a girl who will get things done.

Good for her. I’m glad she’s going to take charge.

She seems to have grown up over night. Good for her. I hope she shows them what she’s really made of.

21. Oh, the title is so ominous (but oh so good!)… Really liked this snippet. Elektra’s story has been a truly great one. 🙂

22. aldreaalien says:

Strong sentiments here. Hope she’s as up to the task as she thinks, ’cause I’ve a feeling it’s going to be an easy path to travel.

So sad to be there, but Electra is a strong woman. And a force to be reckoned with.

24. Hiding her strength–an age old ploy. Might was well take advantage of their negative perceptions!