Weekend Writing Warriors 104- The Forsaken Crown Sneak Peek

wewriwa2It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Hey, I missed you guys last week! Had bronchitis, which wasn’t much fun, and the medication was even less so. But now I’m back, mostly all in one piece.

While my beta readers suffer through Winter of the Wolf, I’ve been working on something else. The Forsaken Crown is a prequel, taking place about ten years before Rise of the Storm. It’s all about Kendryk’s rise to power and will be on the short side for me- maybe 70k words or so. It’s a little odd writing a story with only two POV characters, but I’m actually enjoying it quite a bit. Besides Kendryk, the other main character is a young cavalry officer, Sonya Vidmar. When the story begins, she’s in another country, fighting as a mercenary. She’s been sent on a special mission to capture one of the enemy’s top officers, and has grabbed a hostage before breaking into her target’s tent. Creatively punctuated.

Sonya pushed through, the prisoner in front of her. “Try anything and he dies,” she growled, just loudly enough for her voice to carry through the tent.

“I’m unarmed,” a surprisingly soft voice said.

Sonya turned herself and her hostage toward it, asking, “What’s your name?”

“Igor Kolnikov, Major in the imperial army of Pyotr, our Immortal—”

“Yes, yes,” Sonya snapped, “You must come with us,” she said in a rush, looking over her prize. A man sat at a camp desk, both hands laid flat on the surface; he’d been writing a letter, but had dropped the quill at the incursion.

“Threatening that man is quite unnecessary,” Kolnikov said, even as he stood, “please let him go.”

“Once you’re in our custody, maybe,” Sonya said.

“You’re making a big mistake,” Kolnikov said, “since the war is over.”

If the war is over, Sonya might be in several kinds of trouble. But that’s where the fun begins!

42 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors 104- The Forsaken Crown Sneak Peek

Sonya seems a tad bit paranoid, especially if the war is over. An intriguing snippet! 🙂

The war’s over, eh? Questions, questions. Did her side win or lose? And does she know it’s over? What difficulty could she be in?

3. Sorry you were ill. Great dialogue here. It begs more questions than it answers. Looking forward to reading more.

Oh, very interesting! Great snippet

Glad you’re feeling better

Quite a bit of intrigue in this snippet.

70K for me would be long!

6. Diane Burton says:

Hope you’re feeling a lot better. Good snippet. Leads to all kinds of questions.

7. Glad you’re feeling better Christina! You’re such a tease, what a place to stop! 0.0

Marcia

8. I’m glad you’re feeling better, we missed you! 🙂 And yay, a prequel! That’s exciting! I also love how 70K is “short” for you. 😉

9. Victoria Adams says:

Had bronchitis when I was a kid – yuck. Glad you’re feeling better.
    So the war’s over and no one told Sonya – hmmm. Suspicious. tweeted.

10. Frank Fisher says:

Well I’m not convinced this war is over. Looks like there’s still unfinished business. Great snippet!

Oh, goody! More Kendryk! Love this scene. You do such a great job of keeping your characters (and readers) off balance.

12. Glad you’re feeling better! I love how 70k words is on the short side for you. lol. I WISH I could write something that long. As for the excerpt, loved it! Sonya is definitely a feisty one. 🙂

Strong warrior, but yeah, if the war is over (I’m not sure I believe it either) she could be in a world of hurt. I was surprised that Kolnikov had a “soft” voice. Intriguing.

14. Cool! Keep writing. I love visiting that world! 🙂

15. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

Like Jenna, I was also intrigued by Kolnikov’s softness.

16. Sounds like the war’s not over for everyone! Love how this snippet jumps right into conflict. Glad to hear you’re feeling better!!

17. I’m glad you’re better.
    An intriguing scene as usual with contrasting characters.

18. Feel even more better soon!

I’m guessing she’s been out of contact, with the mission and all. But I can’t imagine there’s an easy way for her to confirm what he says, either.

19. Wars are never over for the angry or vengeful. Interesting snippet. Subplots rule.

20. Glad you’re feeling better. I think if they’ve been in war she’s wise to be cautious.

The war is over? Doesn’t seem so for her. Intrigued.

22. Uh oh, timing is everything, could get awkward if the war really is over! Enjoyed the excerpt…

23. Uh-oh she’s in trouble if the war is over and she doesn’t know it. I’m definitely intrigued by the story! I normally write in 2 point of views, so I found it interesting that this is not the usual way for you 🙂

Wonder why she wouldn’t know the war is over?
    She is definitely on edge, interested in what’s going to happen