Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 103- Lennart

wewriwa2It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

After taking a peek at Winter of the Wolf, this week, we’re back to Hammer of the Gods. Lennart has landed his armies in the kingdom of Helvundala, ruled by Kendryk’s cousin, Prince Stepan. Lennart needs Stepan as an ally, and is telling him of his plans. Slightly edited from the published version.

“I don’t plan to stay with you long,” Lennart said. “My other generals are setting up in Terragand, and I’ll march west with you as soon as you gather up your army.”

“You want me to go west?” Stepan raised his eyebrows. “I’m afraid I don’t understand. I won’t take my army out of Helvundala with both Mattila and Ensden on the loose, with no one to stop them.”

I’m stopping them,” Lennart said, reminding himself to be polite, “and you’ll help me.”

“Hmm,” Stepan said, “we must discuss it further, I’m sure.”

“We’ve already discussed it.” Lennart reminded himself to breathe deeply.

39 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 103- Lennart
  1. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

I love Lennart’s struggle to be civil.

Sounds like they’re about to butt heads. I hope they can work it out for the good of everyone.

Lennart may be a good soldier, but this snippet highlights his unfortunate deficiencies as a diplomat.

4. Love the interaction here. It says a lot about both characters. Great work, Christina! 🙂

A love the muscle flexing in this scene. Can’t wait to read it!

Not everyone is cut out to be a Lennart. He might not be much of a diplomat but his attempts are always entertaining!

7. Had to laugh, Lennart’s moving a bit too fast for his ally! Really a well done excerpt.

8. Lennart clearly knows what he wants, but I don’t know if Stepan will be ready to follow his lead.

9. Diane Burton says:

Sounds like Stepan is about to get a “Come to Jesus” talk. He needs Lennart but doesn’t want to accept that. Should be very interesting to see what comes next.

10. Frank Fisher says:

I like Lennart’s spunk! One little critique: I thought the repetition of “reminded” was awkward. Perhaps you could change the second one to “Lennart breathed deeply”. Sorry, maybe it was just me. Other than that, very intriguing.

I think Lennart is going to blow a gasket trying to remain calm. LOL He seems to be a take charge kind of person, and everyone else get out of his way. Fun snippet!

12. do you know the UK slang about “going west?” She could mean something else in a subtle double entendre

13. Victoria Adams says:

Remaining calm when you want to jump up and scream is always hard.
    Tweeted.

14. He’s not being very cooperative, possibly slow on the uptake, or devious.

15. Shari Elder says:

Fireworks coming soon, I think. Great snippet.

16. He is at least trying to be civil, which you so nicely showed the reader is not his strong suit. Great snippet!

17. There is a time for discussion, and there is a time for action! This seems like a time for the latter.

18. Poor Lennart. It’s hard when other people don’t realize what needs to be done.

19. Woo! Lennart! Always loved that guy. He’s a great character. 😀

Lots of tension here. Wonderful snippet.

21. It’s very hard to remain civil when someone is being difficult, and yet you can’t let rip because you need their help. It sounds as though Lennart is running out of patience.

22. S. M. Pace says:

Uh oh, I foresee Lennart losing his cool with this prince. Love the tension here.

23. I can really feel his struggle for control in this. Great snippet!

24. Lots of testosterone in this scene! Really enjoyed it.