Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 101- Winter of the Wolf Sneak Peek

wewriwa2It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

I’ve just come off of a ten-hour editing shift, so my brain is full of Winter of the Wolf, Book Four in the Desolate Empire Series. I’m going to attempt to post a not-too-spoilery snippet. At the end of Hammer of the Gods, Braeden took off into the woods, hot on the trail of Teodora’s deadliest minion. The next book picks up only a few hours later. There’s a commotion at the rear of his force, and Braeden goes to see what’s happened. Devyn is Kendryk and Gwynneth’s somewhat bratty 12-year-old son. Creatively punctuated.

“What in the name of …” Braeden trailed off as he reached the rear guard and saw who they had. “Vica’s tits, Your Grace; what are you doing here?”

“What do you think?” Devyn Bernotas asked, staring up at Braeden with a challenging glare. “Unhand me, you idiot,” he snapped at the man holding him, who promptly dropped his arm.

“Is something wrong?” Braeden asked, his mouth suddenly dry, “your mother … Natalya?”

“They’re fine,” Devyn shook himself impatiently, then touched the bloodied corner of his mouth and scowled, “This man struck me; how do you plan to punish him, Commander Terris?”

“Punish him?” Braeden asked as he dismounted and walked straight up to Devyn; the boy was tall for his age, but had to tilt his head back far to look Braeden in the eye. “This guard was doing his job, watching our rear; you were lucky no one shot you,” then he remember to add, “Your Grace.”

45 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 101- Winter of the Wolf Sneak Peek

I love that Braeden speaks to him like a spoiled child, and yet doesn’t forget to add his respect. Great snippet!

The kid is definitely a spoiled brat!

3. Ugh, what a spoiled brat. I hope nothing happens to Braeden, sometimes people like Devyn can be the worst kind of enemy.

Love how Braeden handled him. Great snippet!

5. Nancy Gideon says:

LOL, That’s some language to use in front of a 12-year old! Great feel and fun to read . . . your grace.

6. Love this exchange! I could totally picture it in my mind. Wonderful job, Christina! And good luck with the edits! 🙂

7. Terrific snippet, your Grace. Another beauty of a story coming up.

8. Devyn sounds delightfully brattish. I do hope that Braeden is in a position to get through to him!

Why is poor Braeden always getting stuck with these bratty royals? Makes for some pretty entertaining reading, I must say.

Spoiled royal children — a challenge to deal with.

11. You’re being an idiot, your Grace! Lol

12. I have a feeling the boy will learn a lot in the upcoming pages. Fun snippet!

I love the way Braeden speaks to Devyn at the end. Wonderful dialogue!

Great banter. Royal brats should not be tolerated and so glad Braeden doesn’t. Those last lines were great and the pause before adding ‘your grace’ is perfect. 🙂

15. What a great power twist in very few words. Well done.

16. Shari Elder says:

I really like Braeden. You really capture him in this snippet. Well done.

Oh no! He’s going to be a bratty one???

18. Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

Nailed it.

19. Twelve is really old enough to know better. I’m guessing this kid has been spoiled rotten, with how he’s acting!

20. I concur with the others – the twelve year old seems quite a brat. Well handled by Braeden.

21. Rin-Rin says:

Such a brat, though it seems like Braeden knows how to deal with him. Great snippet! 🙂

22. elainecsc2013 says:

Bucking authority. Very nice.

23. *makes happy fangirl noises* Yay Braeden! He always seems to pick up the strays. 😉 And 10 hours? That’s crazy! … Though I guess I can’t talk since that’s basically going to be my day tomorrow and the next day. :S

Yes, he does pick up a spoiled brat here and there. 🙂 What’s even worse is that 10 hours was about a third of the total, this time around. I’m really hoping my beta readers don’t find anything major.

24. The “your Grace” right at the end is perfect.

Devyn Bernotas is certaily being a bit… pompous. I like the way Braeden spoke to him at the end. Great snippet

26. Oooooh, it’s tough holding off reading Hammer of the Gods… But I know it’ll just swallow me whole and I don’t have time right now for that to happen. lol Your books are SO good. Maybe I’ll wait until Winter of the Wolf is published, and just disappear into those two books for a couple of days. 🙂