Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 100- Elektra

wewriwa2It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

From Hammer of the Gods: Some time has passed since last week’s snippet, and Teodora’s envoy Livilla has just taken General Mattila’s army out from under her. Teodora’s daughter Elektra has been staying with Mattila since her escape from and betrayal of Braeden. Now Livilla asks Elektra to come back to the capital with her. Edited from the published version.

Elektra hesitated. She didn’t want to stay with Mattila a moment longer, but didn’t want to return to her old life either.

She glanced at Mattila; hatred burned in her eyes. It was likely all for her mother, but it wasn’t wise to stay and find out. She edged along the wall until she was out of Mattila’s reach, and ran to Livilla and the shelter of the guards.

“Stupid girl,” Mattila spat, while Elektra cowered into Livilla’s arms. “This old hag and your mother will never let you do anything worthwhile. Don’t let them turn you into their creature; you can do so much more.”

Elektra felt tears welling up, wondering how the general understood her greatest fear, but realized she wouldn’t stay. She’d suffered for her mother’s actions before, and didn’t want to endure that again.

44 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 100- Elektra

To paraphrase the bible: “And so the sins of the mother are visited on the daughter.”

Poor Elektra, the choice of a rock and a hard place would be easy compared to this one.
    There is another quote which could apply: The enemy of my enemy is my friend…
    Thank you for sharing, Christina.

Get out while the gettin’ is good!

4. Talk about a tough situation. It’ll be interesting to learn how Elecktra handles it. Great bit of descriptive writing.

5. Nancy Gideon says:

Nice, pivot point, Christina. All hard choices but which path will she follow. Can’t wait to find out.

6. Great introspection here. Excited to see how things unfold! Nicely done, Christina! 🙂

7. Poor Elektra, she can’t win no matter what, or so it seems. I’d probably opt for escape too, in her place!

8. I cannot fortell her plans but whatever you have in mind, it’s going to be swell.

Having to choose between Matilla and Theodora? Frying pan or fire? This girl has to grow up quick!

10. Botanist says:

She seems well and truly caught in an impossible situation. You show the dynamics well!

Poor Elektra. Maybe another option will arise. I hope so, for her sake.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Still, I’ll bet she’s making the right decision.

13. I couldn’t help but sympathize with Elektra in the story. Being Teodora’s daughter is a hell in and of itself.

14. Shari Elder says:

I feel sorry for Elektra but the General seems to have some interesting layers. Very intriguing, really drew me in.

15. Ouch. Sounds like a rough ride is waiting for her either way. Great snippet!

16. Diane Burton says:

You made us all feel sorry for her. Nice job. So which door will she choose?

Can’t help but feel for Elektra. No good choices here. Enjoyed the post.

18. An awkward choice I feel sorry for her.

19. Poor Elektra. Children often suffer for the activities of their parents. I hope she can find a way out.

20. That’s a tough choice, especially since she can’t quite know how either staying or going will turn out. But I think she made the only decision she could, in the end.

21. Rin-Rin says:

Oh, poor Elektra! I hope she can devise her own way out. With how strong and crafty her mother seems I hope some of it has rubbed off on Elektra.

22. If I could run I would.

23. Ah, the lesser evil…such hard choices. Good snippet.

24. Poor Elektra. It’s terrible that she has to pay for her mother’s poor decisions. I hope she finds a way out.