Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 99- Teodora

From Hammer of the Gods: Since Lennart took his time invading, Empress Teodora has been arranging things on the other side to her liking. Her first order of business is getting rid of out-of-control general Brynhild Mattila, who also has Teodora’s daughter, the Archduchess Elektra in her care. Livilla Maxima is something like an archbishop and Teodora’s closest friend and adviser. Slightly edited from the published version. Teodora is speaking to her ruling council, who she’s kept in the dark so far:

“Our first step will be to remove the army from her control, though we must also ensure the safety of the archduchess. I’ve acted already in secret, since Mattila has agents everywhere.” Teodora left it unsaid that for all she knew, a few sat on this council.

“When will you do this?” someone asked.

“I’m doing it already,” Teodora said, wanting to laugh at their dumbstruck faces. “Two weeks ago, Livilla Maxima set out with a large sum of money and an even larger force guarding it. She bears my orders to Mattila, relieving her of command and releasing the archduchess into her care.”

“What if Mattila refuses?” a young count asked.

“I expect her to refuse,” Teodora kept her tone casual, “but her consent isn’t needed. She can call herself supreme general as long as she wants, but she will have no army to command.”

It was too much to include in the snippet, but the money will be used to pay off Mattila’s officer’s, who’ve already been prepped for the coup by Livilla’s minions serving as chaplains in her army.

I would also like to announce a boxed set that I’m part of. It releases October 18, but is on preorder now for 99 cents. It includes twelve authors  contributing Noblebright fantasy novels and short stories. In future weeks, I’ll be posting more info on what Noblebright is, along with some reviews of the books in the set.  Click on the pic below to reserve it at Amazon!

3DBoxedSet

Noblebright fantasy characters have the courage to risk kindness, honesty, integrity, and love; to fight against their own flaws and the darkness of the world around them; and to find hope in a grim world. Authors include Sabrina Chase, Lindsay Buroker, C.J. Brightley, Kyra Halland and many more.

Posted in #8Sunday, noblebright Tagged with: , , , ,
50 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 99- Teodora

The set looks great, doesn’t it! Have you read all of those authors?

Yes, taking away one’s army is a great way to reduce their power. Nice snippet! 🙂

Doesn’t it just bug you when someone takes away your army? I hate that.

I love how authoritative and commanding she is.

While writing her dialogue I’m always careful to remove any “please” and “thank you’s” that slip in, unless she’s being extremely sarcastic.

Always the schemer, our Teodora.

The box set looks awesome, Christina. Well done!

6. Quite wonderful, my friend. Write on!

7. I enjoyed the fighting between Teodora and Mattila. Two large egos both wanting as much power as possible — can’t go well for anybody who gets in between!

Marcia

Mattila is such an awesome enemy/ally for Teodora. Brings out her *best* qualities.

9. Sneaky and devious, which is apparently her at her best. I like the way she’s already executed the plan before telling them about it. Great snippet!

She’s a smart one, isn’t she? She’s thinking ahead and acting on it too.

11. Teodora seems in complete control. Good idea to act first and tell them afterwards.

12. Oh, Teodora. I have missed you… NOT! 😉 Excellent snippet as always. I really loved this book. Congrats again on being part of the boxed set! That’s awesome!

13. I love how she takes complete charge. This hooked me. I want to read on to see how it plays out. Great snippet!

14. danijace says:

I’m feeling a Game of Thrones vibe here. Great snippet!

15. So sneaky – she didn’t even tell the council until it was too late.

16. Karen de Lange says:

Teodora sounds like she knows exactly what she wants and how to go about getting it – though I can’t help but feel that Mattila might have something of her own to say in return!

I read your snippet before I read your intro and kept thinking Teodora’s hiding something. Intriguing for sure.

18. Nancy Gideon says:

Smart and tough! I love. Can’t wait to read more, Christina!

19. Grrrr… I can’t wait for the day when Teodora gets hers…

It does come, right??? lol

20. Rin-Rin says:

Oh my, how sneaky of you Teodora!
    Great snippet! 🙂

21. Way to pull the rug out from under this general. I wonder if everything will go as planned, though.

22. elainecsc2013 says:

A nice little coup d’etat. I hope I spelled it right.