Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 95- Anton

From Hammer of the Gods: While Braeden takes a breather, not far away, Anton is having problems of his own. He and Count Orland have just crossed a river and are trying to go east when they find their path blocked by the armies of Brynhild Mattila. They turn back to the river, hoping to get across before that way is blocked as well.  If you’ve read Valley of the Shadow you’ll know why Anton has a bridge phobia. Slightly edited from the published version.

“If we don’t make it,” the count told Anton, “get back across the river somehow and head for Galladium; Natalya Maxima will take care of you.”

Anton didn’t want to think about crossing that river in a fight, even over a stone bridge. “We’ll make it,” he muttered, mostly to himself, as if saying it would make him believe it.

They reached the river by the following midday, but Mattila’s troops waited for them there too. They were surrounded. The count looked grim, but determined as always, saying, “The force protecting the bridge is smaller, so we ought to be able to break through.”

“They have guns guarding the approach,” an officer said, looking pale.

“We’ll have to ride into them,” the count said with that same laugh he always had. “If we’re fast, we’ll overrun their position before they can get off a second volley. What else can we do?”

39 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 95- Anton

Sounds like the officer has a sane reaction to the situation: charging into armed enemies is scarier than just crossing a bridge.

They made a great team!

Seems like a doomed situation. I hope they make it!

4. The count is a daredevil, but sometimes it’s needed.

Charging head-on into gunfire is never a terrific tactic…even if there is no other choice. Hopefully they can come up with a Plan B!

6. Evelyn Jules says:

Love the way you set up this scene. Seems like there’s no easy escape here, but I believe in them! 🙂 Looking forward to more!

7. Ride right through them. Sometimes it’s the only way.

8. Gem says:

Whoa, the fear and tension of battle in every thought and word. Well done!

What else can we do? How about run away? Oh, they’re surrounded. Darn it. Another very hair-raising scene.

10. Not very good odds, not too many choices…very intense! Terrific excerpt…

11. I always loved their relationship. 😀

12. Botanist says:

I can understand his reluctance. A bridge is a highly vulnerable place to cross.

13. Oh my gosh, riding into gunfire across a narrow passage? I do hope someone has another idea! Great snippet, really pouring on the tension!

14. Frank Fisher says:

It seems like a grim situation here, but I’m sure their teamwork will get them to make the right move.

15. That is maybe good math, but dangerous, too. All it takes is one well placed bullet, after all!

16. I love that he LAUGHS while commenting that they’ll have to ride into them! Great snippet! 🙂

17. It’s a tricky one… I wouldn’t want to make that call!

18. Sometimes bravery and insanity ride side by side. I hope they make it.

19. Ugh! I don’t want to work this week. I want to finish The Valley of Shadows and then wade into The Hammer of the Gods. Cripes–what a good series!

20. The count is brave! Love that laugh at this particular time.

21. I love it when characters react because of things from their past (and other books.) I like long-term character relationships! 😉 Great snippet.

Hope they’re both right, and they’ll get out of this.

23. Very intense! I love that he laughs just then. Such heroics!