Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 92- Braeden

From Hammer of the Gods: Last week, Elektra betrayed Braeden to the enemy. Fortunately for him, the person sent to bring him in is Franca Dura, an old friend. Franca is mad at him, since Braeden’s rescue of Kendryk got their whole unit into trouble, but not mad enough to see him executed. Edited from the published version. Franca is speaking:

“I’m not bringing you in. I wanted to at first, but now that I see you, I can’t do it.”

So he wasn’t prepared when she tackled him. He hit the ground with a thud, and then she was on him, landing a heavy punch to his jaw. His head exploded with pain, but he laid back and didn’t struggle. He’d taught her how to punch like that. He was ready for another blow, but it never came.

“I hate that I can’t do it,” she whispered through clenched teeth, still straddling him, “but you’re the closest thing I ever had to a father, and mostly, you were a good one. And after what happened to Janna and the little ones, I don’t blame you for trying something crazy. I half wanted to myself.”

If you haven’t read Valley of the Shadow, Braeden and Janna married and had two kids, but they all died when Teodora destroyed the city where they were living. Braeden rescued Kendryk by way of getting back at Teodora, which is why he was already in trouble before kidnapping Elektra.

First weekend of the month means it’s multi-author promo time! Click on the pic to choose from over 100 books (including 19 box sets) for only 99 cents at all major retailers.

July promo

34 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 92- Braeden

very emotionally charged, good snippet.

You DO know Braeden is my favorite character, right? Please tell me it’s not HIM you’re going to kill off!?

Yes, I know. 🙂 But I’m going to have to kill someone’s favorite, or favorites, by the time we’ve reached the end. I already had one reader quit the series, furious at me for killing Janna. Who knew writing could be such a dangerous business?

Braeden got lucky here. I hope his luck doesn’t run out. It sounds like he did what others wanted to do, but didn’t have the guts to do. Great snippet! 🙂

4. What a way to greet a friend!

5. Poor Braeden, what a way to reunite with an old friend. I’m glad she isn’t taking him in though…very tangled webs being woven in your novel, well done!

6. Botanist says:

After the betrayal it seems like he got lucky. Layers on layers of conflicting motives. Nice.

7. Poignant. Well told. You are quite a writer, Christina.

8. You write such good visuals, and emotionally charged scenes, Christina. This is a fine example of that!

9. Probably not the reunion one would hope for, but perhaps in this case he lucked out with just a punch when it could have ended so much worse. Emotional snippet.

10. I definitely enjoyed Braeden’s storyline in this book. He’s very real, complicated and wants revenge–even starts to act on it–You did a great job with that guy!

Marcia

Loved this interchange. She’s smart enough to know herself, how she would feel if she betrayed him. Very emotionally charged scene.

12. There’s a big difference between being unable to get him killed, and being unable to hurt him, clearly. But perhaps he deserved a punch.

Is she giving him love taps, or does she mean it? BTW, I forgot to add my snippet to the WeWriWa list, but it’s up and eager for readers.

14. I loved this scene so much! I was honestly holding my breath because I didn’t know what she would do! Great job, as always! 😀

15. Intense, emotional scene. Good snippet.

Hmm. It would seem she is not the only one who “can’t”.
    Looking forward to reading more of their story Christina!

very emotional snippet. Great!

18. Gem says:

Her anger and frustration come through very well. And the fact that she cares for him. Great snippet.

19. It’s nice to see a story with a strong, tough woman who can take care of herself. 🙂

20. Great snippet. She’s a strong woman. Love it!

21. Oh, a lot of emotion in that, as well as a lot of muscle! Good snippet!