Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 90- Anton

From Hammer of the Gods: Anton and Count Arian Orland are finally back on the road with Orland’s army, hoping to meet up with King Lennart when he invades. They’re crossing wine country during the grape harvest and enjoying a village wine festival, or three. Anton has just over-indulged. He passes out and wakes up in the middle of the night in the deserted village square. Skandar is Anton’s horse. Slightly edited.

Anton stumbled down the dark, quiet street and found the inn they were staying at, but it was too much work to go upstairs and find the count’s room. So he laid down on the floor in the dining room, and slept soundly until the kitchen maid kicked him, shrieked, then fell right on top of him. There was a commotion until Anton woke up enough to reassure her he was a guest and not some kind of bandit. That didn’t help his pounding head, and the count laughed for a long time when someone told him what happened with the kitchen maid.

“I’ll get a barrel of wine just for you. There’s room in my wagons.” The count thought it was the funniest thing, though Anton didn’t agree.

His head didn’t clear up until much later in the day, by which time he’d had to ride fifteen leagues. Every step Skandar took felt like a hammer to his head. “I’ll never drink wine again,” he muttered.

Fortunately for Anton (or maybe not), there’s a variety of alcohol in the world.

35 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 90- Anton

LOL That is very funny, though I’m sure his head did hurt the next day. Great snippet! 🙂

Poor Anton. Just as well there is ale ;-}
    Excellent snippet, Christina

3. Frank Fisher says:

How many times have I said that when I’ve been hungover? And of course he’ll be back to the suds soon enough. Great snippet, Christina!

Funny. He’s lucky he made it back to the inn at all.

Poor Anton learns a lot of painful lessons the hard way. Fun snippet (for us, not Anton).

LOL! Funny snippet. Somehow I have no faith in that last sentence. 🙂

Not a drinker myself, this scene is so real (based on others I’ve seen who have imbibed). Lots of humor. Great snippet.

8. It’s good to learn the effects of alcohol early in life!

9. Excellent snippet, nice slice of life there!

10. I’m not a great drinker, but I have had the odd regret after drinking too much wine! Poor kitchen maid. Must have been a shock.

I don’t believe that last line for even one second.

12. I can tell Anton’s one of your favorite characters. You do beat the poor boy up, though! Lovely excerpt 🙂

Marcia

13. 🙂 Bet he doesn’t keep the promise of that last line!

14. aldreaalien says:

Pfft, reminds me of my partner when he indulges. I don’t drink so I’ve all the “fun” of watching everyone else get sozzled and walk into bookcases.

Ah… Well, at least there’s always ale or cider or mead… or more wine if Anton’s a masochist.

15. I can see why the count laughed, but to poor Anton it probably wasn’t too funny.

16. I could feel his pounding headache as the hoofs hit the ground!

It’s been interesting watching him start to grow up. Not sure about his role model though! LOL

18. Tee hee hee, oh Anton. So young. 😀

19. Anton has got to have one pounding head! LOL! Great snippet!

20. Hahaha! “Never” is a long time. 😉 Fun snippet, Christina–well,, at least for everyone but Anton and the maid.

21. S. M. Pace says:

I agree, those wine hangovers are the worst. Love the humor in this snippet, especially the kitchen maid kicking him 🙂

22. Famous last words! Ah, fruit of the vine, thou art a vengeful mistress. 😉