Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 82- Gwynneth

Time to introduce another new POV character! While everyone else gears up for more war, Gwynneth is far away, trying to broker peace between the two more distant countries of Sanova and Estenor, in hopes of bringing Estenor into the fight on her side. After a lot of sailing around and getting yelled at by bad-tempered queens (not Teodora at least), Gwynneth succeeds in arranging a marriage between Raysa, the daughter of the Sanovan queen, and Lennart, the king of Estenor. Gwynneth is telling Lennart about his future bride: (slightly edited)

“I’m afraid she’s terribly unhappy, since she’s spent her life being told you represented all the evil in the world and now she has to marry you.”

“Poor girl. Please tell me you lied to her about how wonderful I am.”

“I tried to console her, but I think she’s nearly as frightened of me. She’s quite timid.”

“I suppose I’ll try to not be so loud around her. I’m having a go at not swearing so much since my priest reckons I should set a better example. Maybe that will help. Do you think I ought to get rid of the beard too?” Lennart looked distressed at the prospect of so much domestication.

Previous snippets are here

Next week I’ll start posting excerpts from Hammer of the Gods. It’s back from most of my beta readers so I think it’s safe to launch into the final revision. It should be live by June 1, if not sooner!

52 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 82- Gwynneth
  1. He’ll shave for her? Oh, a keeper! Great snippet!

I like that he’s making an effort. Great snippet! 🙂

From this, it seems his heart is at least in the right place.

4. This will be interesting. I like that he is concerned already for her happiness–or so it seems. 🙂

5. Heather Boyd says:

The poor man, going to so much trouble to appear tame. LOL Love it.

I love the contrast between his ferocity and almost tenderness. Excellent piece, Christina. I always enjoy your dialogue.

Who is taming who? Nice reveal through dialog, Christina.

Domestication is a bitch. ;D Great snippet, Christina, I always love your dialogue!

9. Daryl Devore says:

Fabulous snippet – an under layer of humor and concern. Tweeted.

10. I like the playful tone of this in contrast to the situation. Always enjoy your snippets!

At least he seems willing to change to keep from frightening her. That definitely says something good about him!

12. Botanist says:

Love that first sentence. Talk about understatement – “terribly unhappy” has such a genteel feel to it 🙂

13. I agree with all the comments. Delightful snippet.

14. danijace says:

At least he trying. Hopefully it will work for the cause. Great snippet!

15. Yes!! Loved Lennart! 😀

He seems like a decent guy, like he’s trying.

17. Poor guy, he’s got a lot of surprises in store about married life, methinks. But I like his first ideas about how to be more congenial for his bride. Terrific snippet!

18. He is trying to be helpful. She must have said good things about his bride to be.

19. Whitney says:

Oh my days. I wouldn’t be cut out for their time period. His response did make me laugh; the things we do for love!

20. Yikes!! Then again which is worse, marrying someone you heard the horror stories about up front, or the seeming good guy who reveals his true self later? LOL Nice job.

21. When you have always been told that someone is evil, and then that she has to marry him, it’s hard to change the mindset quickly! Great snippet as always.

22. Gem says:

Nice set up. He’ll shave for her, and that’s a good start. 😀

23. Swearing a little less and shaving isn’t really all that much effort! But if he’s willing to make some small sacrifices for her peace of mind, that’s a good start, I suppose.

24. Shaving and not swearing 0 this guy is willing to do almost anything. Tweeted.

25. This sounds like a nice guy even though she’s scared of him.

26. I like Lennart, he’s not a pushover but he’s loyal. Definitely enjoyed both books in the series, looking forward to more!

Marcia

27. T. M. Hunter says:

This dialogue made me chuckle: “Poor girl. Please tell me you lied to her about how wonderful I am.” Fun snippet.

28. Hahaha I love to see how worried he is about her and he’ll even shave off his beard!

29. S. M. Pace says:

I like Lennart. He sounds like he would be a fun husband to me, although it sounds like his future bride may not be so easily consoled. Poor girl.