Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 74- Gwynneth

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Gwynneth is still stuck in her besieged castle, but she’s been using her time productively. Father Edric Landrus has finally finished translating the Holy Scrolls and Gwynneth decides she should read them and see what the fuss is all about. Reading them changes her mind about everything, so she has to swallow her pride and apologize to Edric for doubting him and his work.

“I don’t understand what happened, but I’m different now. I learned so many new things as I read the Scrolls, I’m sure I don’t even comprehend them all. It changed me somehow, I’m certain of it,” Gwynneth ended with a whisper.

“I’m so pleased, Your Grace. I’ve long prayed for this moment.”

“Thank you,” Gwynneth had to pause and stop the quiver in her voice. It was bad enough she had to admit she’d been wrong about this. To weep in front of Edric, kind as he was, would have been the worst. “I hope it’s all right that I still have a lot of questions. And many doubts, I’m afraid.”

30 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 74- Gwynneth

What was in those scrolls! Excellent snippet, Christina!

I want to know what she learned that created such an about-face.

BTW, that’s an awesome giveaway you’ve involved in. 50 Fantasy books! Wow.

Great snippet! It’s true in any situation that educating ourselves can make us see things more accurately. I’m also curious as to what she learned in those scrolls.

4. Fifty shades of information in the scrolls? Let’s all read them. Thanks for a super snippet.

5. Ah, reading does change us all, right? I’m with Cara – I want to know what was in those scrolls. Great snippet, Christina!

6. naomi shaw says:

The scrolls seem to have had an amazing affect. Maybe I should read them. Great snippet

7. There must be a powerful message in those scrolls.

8. Victoria Adams says:

I’m with everybody else – what’s in the scrolls????????
    tweeted.

9. Quite realistic that she still has questions and things to learn. Interesting to ‘be present’ at a moment of great personal growth for the character. Enjoyed the snippet!

10. Big changes in her, and I wonder what changes will follow… I get the sense of something big looming.

11. danijace says:

Eyes wide open. Some times knowing the truth is dangerous. Good excerpt!

12. Good that she had the courage to apologise for her previous doubts, and admit that the scrolls have changed her. Look forward to reading more.

13. Yep–what is in those scrolls? Or maybe she’s never been introduced to religion before? Good snippet, Christina.:-)

Want to know what she learned. Intrigued by the snippet. 🙂

I enjoyed this conversation. Her hesitation makes her change of mind seem profound, and yet she’s still kept enough of her objectivity to have doubts and questions. Very nice snippet.

Its’ always so hard to admit you were wrong. But actually being changed by the scrolls must make it difficult to apologize. Or maybe it makes it easier. I guess you could take it either way! Great 8!

17. elainecsc2013 says:

She must have learned something that changed her profoundly. Still, she still has her questions. I like that.

18. I definitely enjoyed this turn in Gwynneth’s character. It was unexpected from the first book, and definitely make her stronger. Great snippet!

19. I’m wondering about the scrolls like everyone else, but I also really want to know why crying in front of Edric would be such a mistake. Great snippet!