Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 73- Braeden

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Happy Valentines Day! I’d originally planned to check in with Gwynneth pondering religious matters, but in honor of the holiday, thought I’d return to our lovebirds instead. Janna is very pregnant now and tired of living in a tent, so she and Braeden go house-hunting in Atlona.  So far, Janna doesn’t like any of the houses Braeden has picked, finding them much too big and fancy. So she suggests having Braeden’s factor, Silbershmid, (his money-man in the capital) show them a house in a more modest neighborhood. Edited to fit.

“It has a garden,” Silbershmid said, as he opened the door.

“I would love a garden,” Janna said.

“I know,” Silbershmid replied, grinning..

That was news to Braeden since he didn’t take Janna for the gardening sort.

Janna pronounced the small kitchen satisfactory, then lumbered up the stairs with surprising energy. Braeden needed only a glance at her happy, glowing face to decide he’d pay whatever was asked.

Silbershmid seemed surprised that he didn’t try to bargain him down when he named the price, then shrugged. “I told you it was perfect; I can always tell by the look of the lady what is needed.”

“That’s a rare gift my friend.”

“That’s why I’m very rich.”

46 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 73- Braeden
  1. Frank Fisher says:

I like his ability to read her. It IS a rare gift indeed! Nicely crafted snippet! Mine will be up tomorrow.

Nicely done Christina. I can feel their happiness- it is lovely!

3. Ah! So much in love, on Valentines Day too. Nice piece.

Great last line. He knows his customers! Excellent snippet.

5. Victoria Adams says:

Intriguing – he can tell by her face what she likes, but didn’t know things she like – like gardening.
    Tweeted.

6. So fine! A real salesman and RICH. The key word. Your writing is wonderful and funny, Christina.

7. Your dialogue is always so much fun! Terrific scene, Christina!

Jenna and Braeden have such a great repore. Their scenes are always so sweet and a nice break from all the war and evil going ons.

9. Haha! Perfect excerpt! Your characters really click with you, you know what I mean? Their personalities shine through, as if they’re so pleased you’re telling their stories that they share all their secrets with you. So often, your dialog reads like it just flowed from your fingers. 🙂

~Marcia

10. Now he is a rare salesman!

11. A rare gift indeed. So many people are hung up on what they *think* someone wants, they never get it right.

So sweet that Braeden wants her to be happy. And wonderful to have someone who could find them the perfect house. 🙂 A very sweet snippet for today!

13. Fun! I like the way people house hunt in the world you’ve created. Great snippet for today!

14. danijace says:

A fun and happy snippet!

15. Yay! She found a place she loves. What a sweet snippet. And I loved that last line. 🙂

16. elainecsc2013 says:

I need a talent like that! This was a happy, tender snippet.

17. Daryl Devore says:

Any gift that makes you rich is a good gift!
    Tweeted.

Love that he could read her. Loved the snippet. Perfect for Valentine’s Day too. 🙂

19. Oh, that last line…priceless! I’m amazed at how you built Silbershmid’s character in those short sentences. I got a feeling for how he looked and sounded. Outstanding!

20. I love everything Janna and Braeden. Everything everything everything!!!

You cannot go wrong going by what the lady wants. No wonder the man is rich! Great snippet!

Very natural conversation. This guy sounds like a good real estate salesman. BTW, I forgot to sign up this week, but my snippet is here http://eahoornaert.com/2016/02/13/effing-feline-21316/.

23. Perfect snippet for Valentine’s Day! You made me feel the love. 🙂

I think I need Silbershmid to help me sell my house!
    He almost seems a little too intuitive…
    I’m enjoying Braeden’s devotion to Janna, very nice.

25. naomi shaw says:

Beautifully written, he’s great at reading her