Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 72- Arryk

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Since I sort of left y’all hanging last week, with Arryk about to go over the side of the sinking ship, it seemed only fair to let you know what happened next. Unlike most of his soldiers, Arryk is able to swim, so he manages to get to shore eventually, and drags along someone’s unconscious body while he’s at it. Edited for clarity.

Arryk lay on the beach, waves washing over his legs. He was so stiff he could hardly move, but knew he had to before he froze to death. That would be more embarrassing than drowning.

As it got light, he could see horses and soldiers wandering about the rocky beach, although corpses of both lay everywhere. When he dragged himself to his feet a sharp wind hit him and he realized his clothes were still soaked.

He heard a moan nearby and saw Magnus, the young soldier who’d pushed him overboard.

“Are you all right?” Arryk asked, bending down to him.

Magnus rolled onto his back, his eyes blinking open, and said,. “You saved my life, Your Highness.”

“You saved mine first, giving me that shove,” Arryk said grinning down at him.

36 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 72- Arryk
  1. Glad Arryk survived the embarrassment of possible drowning, as well as saving Magnus too!

A mutual admiration society, eh? I sense a strong friendship in the making.

I love the subtle humour here, Christina. Poor Arryk. First he had to abandon ship, and now his dignity is challenged yet again to avoid an ignominious demise. 😃

4. Daryl Devore says:

Love the line about freezing to death more embarrassing than drowning – says a lot about him.
    Tweeted.

Sounds like the start of great friendship. Curious to see where it leads.

What a scene! Glad they both survived. 🙂

7. A new bond is forming! Nice moment, Christina.Your descriptions–as ever, are wonderfully visual. Thanks for not letting us hang any longer. 🙂

Only Arryk could be grinning so soon after such a disaster. He’s a very lovable character.

9. Wonderful – the joy of surviving – the heartbreak of the corpses then the relief that they bother survived.

10. It always seemed weird that people would get on ships unable to swim… but I suppose in most cases it wouldn’t matter–they’d die regardless. Still, glad he saved one non-swimmer!

Yeah, that seemed to be an old-school sailor thing- being able to swim would just prolong the agony if your ship went down. In this case, most of the people on board are soldiers who’ve been recruited from farms and the working classes, so most never had the opportunity to learn.

Nothing like a close bond being formed from saving each others life. Enjoyed the snippet.

12. Good outcome and I could sure feel the cold they were enduring – brrr! Loved the excerpt.

13. danijace says:

The beginning of a great friendship, I suspect. Now, best to start a fire and get warm.

14. I love a leader who’s willing to save his followers and acknowledge their bravery. Arryk sounds like a guy I’d like to know more!

15. Whew!! Nice bit of characterization there with his inner narrative about freezing to death being an embarrassing way to go. 🙂

very poignant noticing both the living and the dead the next morning. Mutual admiration (& humility) between Aaryk and Magnus, I am sure this bond will be lasting.

17. I’m glad they both survived.

18. Outstanding end to a fine snippet. Or maybe more will transpire in the final analysis

19. Great scene! They helped each other. I imagine it won’t be the end of their newfound friendship.

20. These two just may be starting a friendship. I agree that the characterization is excellent here.

21. Good thing I’ve already read the book– the cliffhanger might have driven me crazy! I was definitely happy to read this. 🙂

Why is freezing to death more embarrassing than drowning? He wouldn’t be around to be embarrassed anyway! Still, I do feel for him. 🙂

23. Taryn Tyler says:

I like that he’s as worried about being embarrassed as he is about freezing to death. Very human 🙂

24. naomi shaw says:

There is a friendship brewing here. Great snippet

25. Looking forward to finding out how they survive from here!