Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 64- Arryk

weekend writing warriorsIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-10-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Now that I’ve taken you close to the end of Rise of the Storm, it’s time to move on. So now you’ll get tidbits from Valley of the Shadow for a while. Especially because I just got the cover (see below). Isn’t it shiny?

Arryk and Larisa are the two pretty people pictured. You’ve already met Arryk, so today I’ll introduce his girl.. Gwynneth is now besieged in a castle with Father Landrus and hers and Kendryk’s children. Her brother Arryk is trying to figure out how to rescue her. Larisa worries that Gwynneth might lose her mind, since she can’t fight her enemies directly. Arryk says:

“But Gwynn isn’t a soldier like you. I’m sure she’s bored, being cooped up in a castle, but I imagine she’ll pass the time reading and discussing philosophy.”

“Ugh,” Larisa said.

“She got that from grandmother. Aksel did too. I’m the only one who’s not a scholar.”

“Thank Ercos for that,” Larisa said, punching his arm. “I would never let a scholar into my bed.”

“It’s been my bed I’ve been letting you into lately,” Arryk said, feeling warmer at the thought.

Valley of the Shadow 50 percent

33 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 64- Arryk
  1. LOL, great dialogue here, you sent chills through my body! Nice work! Love it, as usual. 😉

Nicely done, Christina. Your dialogue is always excellent, this is no exception :-}

Love the cover! And I think I’m going to like these two characters. So WHEN is your release date??

Nice use of dialogue to advance the plot. Beautiful cover!

Terrific back and forth between the characters, and some fantastic character development because of it. Great stuff, Christina!

6. Love the dialogue. It gives great insight into the characters. Beautiful Cover.

7. Marcia says:

I really like insightful moments between characters like this. We find out some info about both of them but not in a flat, dull way. 🙂

What I like about the cover is that it immediately says “fantasy” to me so I don’t have to guess the genre. So kudos on that too!

8. Eleri Stone says:

Their banter brought a smile to my face:) Love the new cover!

9. They sound a well-matched couple.

I like the sudden warmth of her thoughts at the end.

Great insight into the characters. Love the book cover. Congrats to on the upcoming release.

12. Gorgeous cover! I enjoyed the snippet, terrific dialogue. I have to say I wouldn’t be reading and discussing philosophy if I was besieged in a castle!

13. elainecsc2013 says:

Good dialogue and a nice cover.

14. Hey, what else are you supposed to do during a siege but read? Should I go outside today? Nope, people out there are trying to kill me. Better stay inside with a book.

Picnicking on the besieger’s cannon? Nope. Basketball in the castle courtyard? Only if you like shrapnel wounds. Reading in a cozy nook behind 3 ft-thick walls sounds like a winner to me!

Great cover! The dialogue is quick, light and humorous with a touch of sexy, lol. Great snippet.

16. The dialogue make the scene very real – great job.

17. Daryl Devore says:

How wonderful – spending all your time reading and discussing philosophy –
    Great snippet.

18. jessicahanna says:

I love this dialogue and especially the punch. Nice snippet! Looking forward to next week!