Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 61- Kendryk

I’m not sure how many more snippets I’ll be posting from Rise of the Storm. It feels like ancient history for me right now. The sequel, Valley of the Shadow is with my beta readers and I’m already 20K words into the next one, Hammer of the Gods. So I’ll give you a few more drama-filled moments, then move on.

Things are going from bad to worse for poor Kendryk. Not only has Teodora broken the siege of her capital with Braeden’s and General Barela’s help, she’s made peace with her strongest opponent and now has her whole army at her disposal. Which she will probably use on Kendryk. On top of that, while out with his army,  a bunch of other stuff has happened back home. He receives an ominous letter from Father Landrus, telling him to return right away. So Kendryk hurries home, worried that something terrible has happened to his family, and barges in on Gwynneth and Arian Orland, IN HER BEDROOM! They’re just talking, but–

“Let me explain,” Gwynneth began.

Kendryk stared at her. “How can you possibly explain this? There is only one reason he would be here.”

“Nothing was happening, or going to happen,” Arian said. “She was ending it.”

Which meant there was something to end. Arian took one more step and Kendryk’s fist shot out and hit him square in the jaw. Pain flashed up Kendryk’s hand, momentarily clearing his head.

Arian stumbled back, but rather than reach for him, Gwynneth stepped out of the way.

Not only is there now big trouble in paradise, Arian Orland is (was?)  Kendryk’s only ally. Uh-oh.

26 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 61- Kendryk

Not a good idea, punching out your friends. Just imagine what he must do to his enemies!

Broke my heart for poor Kendryk.

Ending what? In her bedroom? Not a smart place for any man to do business! We are agog Christina! What a cliff hanger!

4. Woohoo! Talk about some great conflict in the story! Nicely done, Christina. I didn’t expect that at all. the only one more surprised than me right now is Kendryk. 🙂

5. Great catch here, “Which meant there was something to end.” Kendryk is no dummy. Great scene!

‘“Nothing was happening, or going to happen,” Arian said. “She was ending it.”

Which meant there was something to end. ‘

Uh….oops. :O I love this snippet, Christina, and this part especially. Just some terrific writing!

7. evelynjules says:

Oh, those men and their testosterone! lol. Great job showing the jealousy in this moment. I’ve really been enjoying these excerpts, Christina! 🙂

8. What a great spot to end the excerpt, too! Please pick up from there next week, we gotta see what happens 😉

9. Hot stuff and grounds for a fight. Christina, you’ve written a fascinating tale

10. Ah yes… I remember this. My heart broke a little at it. Well, it did for Kendryk and Gwennyth. I love the upcoming titles by the way, especially Hammer of the Gods! That sounds badass.

11. Mari says:

This reminds me of a scene in a ’90s show where the boy walks in, pulls a blanket away from his wife and best friend, and yells out “UNDERPANTS!”

Except, of course, this was done with more tension and resulted in a bit of a fisticuffs. And I wiggle my eyebrows at what those two were doing behind closed doors!

I’m still mad at Gwynneth, you know. And Arian deserved more than a punch. Great scene.

13. Fast work there! Strike first and ask questions later.

14. They certainly come off as guilty, but punching people is not the way to make friends!

15. Interesting development. That was a rather telltale phrase about ending it. Enjoyed the excerpt, glad to hear the new book is going so well.

16. When a conversation starts with – let me explain – you just know it isn’t going to end well!

17. Daryl Devore says:

Cliffhanger much!!! What happens next???

18. Whitney says:

IN HER ROOM. Ugh, makes it that much more annoying. I loved the pacing and the reading between the lines. Great job!