Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 40- Janna

Now that we’ve learned that Father Landrus will not meet a sticky end in the immediate future, we can breathe a sigh of relief and leave the cloying, intrigue-laden atmosphere of Kronfels behind and rejoin Janna in the fresh air of the Moraltan countryside. She and her step-son Anton have been taken in by Betha, a kindly old woman who needs help on her farm.  Anton herds goats, Janna hoes beans and all is blissful, so naturally, it can’t last.

One day, Betha’s son Havil arrives with his wife Gerda and their daughter Petra, They’re less than pleased to find Janna there, who wonders hopefully, if they’ve come for a short visit.

“We’ve come to stay,” Havil said. “The fighting in Marjatya spilled across the border and our town is full of soldiers. They was going to quarter them on us, but I wouldn’t allow it, not with a sweet thing like our Petra around.”

“Such a fool,” Gerda snorted. “He goes whimpering like a little girl and they turfed us out. Don’t know what he thought would happen.”

“Oh dear,” Janna said. “I can see why you might be worried.” Although she really didn’t, as poor Petra bore an unfortunate resemblance to Havil, but with a weaker chin. Janna was already thinking that she and Anton would have to sleep in the barn, since the house was scarcely big enough for the three of them as it was.

27 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 40- Janna
  1. Unfortunately, Petra’s face is probably not what they are most interested in. Well done!

2. Carrie-Anne says:

Even if they remain in the house, it might still feel even more crowded, and not just because of the extra people!

3. Oy! They certainly have a crowd now. Interesting development, Christina. 🙂

Yeah, I don’t see anything good coming of this arrangement…well done as ever, Christina!

5. Frank Fisher says:

That’s a full house. Given the fighting going on, I don’t think they have other options and hopefully Janna can oblige. Nice snippet!

6. Sarah W says:

I hope Janna can find a place of her own . . . somewhere she wont/can’t/refuses to leave.

7. Eek, those don’t seem like good living conditions. I know the characters would glare at me for saying this… but I can’t wait to see what happens next!

8. Run. Get the heck out of there. My skin crawls from the sticky situation

9. caitlinstern says:

Somehow I don’t think the barn will even be an option for long–that son doesn’t seem friendly at all!

10. As you said, the situation was too peaceful to last in these perilous times! The son certainly is unpleasant…so of course I can’t wait to read more. Great snippet!

11. That’s not really nice to arrive without being invited and kick the other to the barn.

12. Great snippet. Janna has such a caring personality. I love how the two’s personality works with one another.

13. Eden says:

Living in the barn might end up being more desirable in the long run…. though I can understand why Janna isn’t looking forward to the change.

And Petra… poor girl. On so very many levels, poor girl (I say this as a girl who was always “obviously her father’s daughter”.)