Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 33- Kendryk

wewriwa

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.’

Last week, Kendryk and Teodora finally met and were super fake-nice to each other. This was followed by several days of difficult negotiations in which they hashed out the details of the trial. Teodora is being a brat, but Kendryk gets his way on nearly every point. The one they can’t agree on is whether or not Landrus should be allowed to speak in his own defense. Teodora is adamantly opposed, but Kendryk finally suggests they leave the matter open and they’ll talk again before the trial’s end. With a smidge of creative punctuation.

She stared at him for some time, one corner of her bottom lip caught in her teeth. “It seems reasonable,” she said. She’d probably been wondering what sort of trap he was setting. “But I’m not committing to anything.” She shook her head and a hint of a smile crossed her face. “It seems you would have made quite a lawyer, Prince Kendryk; I rather wish you’d become one so I could deal with someone else right now.”

“I was meant to become a priest, or maybe even a Maximus someday, but I never considered law,” Kendryk smiled.

“Oh, well, religion is very similar, you know.”

19 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 33- Kendryk

“Oh, well, religion is very similar, you know.” Well you said a mouthful there, girlfriend! Great stuff.

2. Oh, I’d be wary of him! That last line was huge. *grin* Great snippet, Christina!

The venom between these two is delicious. Great dialogue!

4. Mari says:

Snort. Yes, religion and law, quite similar (it did make me think along the lines of something Mr. Darcy would say in a Pride and Prejudice spinoff, but now I’m just reading into things, lol!).

Loved the snippet.

As usual your dialogue is full of telling character details. Very nicely done.

6. Wow, the animosity between them is amazing. Even better because they’re trying to be civil when all they probably want is to start swinging punches. Great eight!

7. JK Candlen says:

Loving the story. Can’t wait for more.

8. Seems they’ve both met their match in terms of political maneuvering. A fascinating story and a great snippet.

9. caitlinstern says:

I’m sure we’d all prefer to negotiate with people who let us get our way, but she’ll just have to cope.

10. Eleri Stone says:

Really good dialogue. It sounds natural but has some interesting twists and turns.

11. Love, this description. “She stared at him for some time, one corner of her bottom lip caught in her teeth.” I feel like I am there and I can actually see her. Great job!!!

12. THAT LAST LINE! Brilliant! Religion as an exercise in law…wonder where I’ve heard that one before? 😉

Brilliant as always, dear. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Aheïla says:

The interactions between the two are very entertaining. I like the playfulness and honesty at the end. It’s like they recognize the other as somewhat of a equal (which they enjoy) while being at odds.