Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 28- Janna

wewriwaIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Recently, Janna learned that she and Anton are on a list of the Empress’s most-wanted rebels. Since it’s not safe to go back to Janna’s family, and Janna’s a terrible tavern wench, Maya has arranged for them to live with Maya’s sister Zara in another town. Back on the road, Janna explains to Anton why they’re in trouble.

“That Empress is a bad person,” Anton said. “Why does she want to capture us when we haven’t done anything wrong?”

“She’s worried that when you grow up, you’ll still be angry with her and start trouble.”

“She’s right about that,” Anton said, arranging his face into a grimace.

Janna hid a smile and asked, “So what would you do if you were the Emperor?”

“I would give Moralta independence, first thing.”

“They would stop paying taxes to you, you know.”

“I’d have palaces full of gold, so I wouldn’t need any stupid taxes.”

Anton for Emperor!

36 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 28- Janna

Remind me again how old Anton is?

2. I can see Anton being mad at her when he grows up. I guess the Empress is being smart in that respect. I like, how you describe Janna’s imagination. Great eight!

3. Hell, I say let’s make Anton ruler of the known universe! 🙂

Great 8!

4. Eleri Stone says:

No stupid taxes! Yes! Great bit of dialogue:)

5. Love this! Anton made me smile. Great dialogue exchange!

I like how children can cut through the BS. And Janna is smart to tell him the truth. Nice snippet.

7. Kate Warren says:

I would vote for Anton for Emperor! He’s a smart kid.

8. What fun. I agree with honesty to children. Save Anton for my granddaughter.

9. The changing of the guard amongst royals is always full of wistful, youthful ideas. Everyone loves a young Monarch. Everyone fears the old ones…

Good 8, Christina! 🙂

10. Mari says:

I can stand behind Anton’s decision. Freedom for all! Lol, great snippet 😀

11. Sarah W says:

Anton is awesome. Not quite up to date on the financial burdens of running an empire, but awesome none the less. 😀

He sounds idealistic. I didn’t realize until I saw the comments that he’s a child.

13. He does sound like a child in his thinking, so very well done with the dialog. Great 8!

14. OMG – I burst out laughing on the first line – my little girl said that about the villain in Little Mermaid- she pointed at the screen and said – she’s a mean lady.
    The voice is perfect in this snippet.

15. caitlinstern says:

I think he answered his question with his first statement. Why does she want to capture them?–because she’s a bad person.

Though he seems smart and determined enough that the empress probably has the right idea. He will be trouble later!

16. Great 8 with fabulous dialogue. You’ve nailed the voice and I agree with Caitlin, Anton will be trouble later;).

17. ralfast says:

Feel good policies are not necessarily financially viable ones.

18. You’ve nailed the naiveté / youth of the lad, and also put up a neat rational argument for the prevailing political view: money. It don’t grow on trees.

Great eight. I have a feeling I’d like to meet the villain from this one

19. Whitney says:

Hello there! I’ve officially nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! I know that I’ve just gotten to know you and your work, but you have inspired me. Visit this link to learn how to accept this award: http://witandtravesty.com/we-accept-cheers-to-our-second-blog-award/. I look forward to reading your future posts!