Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 25- Janna

wewriwaIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Janna and Anton have taken refuge with the helpful Maya, and Janna is trying to earn her keep by working as a tavern wench.

She was on her way back to the kitchen when someone grabbed her by the waist and pulled her onto his lap.

“Now here’s a pretty thing,” a man roared, his face too close to hers and his breath stinking of ale. “Oh come now, sweetheart,” he bounced her on his knee. “No need to be unfriendly.”

Janna shrieked and leapt up so fast she knocked him off the bench. She ran to the kitchen, followed by good-natured shouts and laughter.

“No need to cry about it, dear,” Maya said. “Just box their ears and they’ll get the picture.”

39 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 25- Janna

I can’t WAIT to meet this Maya in the story. Btw, have you gotten a title yet in the midst of all that editing?

2. Liza Barrett says:

Oh, this sounds like a positively fun scene 🙂 I’d really like to learn more about how Janna ends up dealing with the men in the tavern.

She needs to sharpen her ear-boxing skills if she’s going to survive. ;D Terrific scene, Christina! Have you written an ad blurb for the book yet? That might help us help you come up with a title. =D

Thanks! Poor girl just isn’t cut out for that life.

I don’t have a blurb, but I need to do that soon. I’m dreading it, but I will come up with something. Watch this space! 🙂

Sounds like Maya has experience dealing with this crowd.

5. Evelyn Jules says:

Oh, you better believe I’ll box their ears. Love the sound of Maya. She’s my kind of lady. Great job, Christina! 🙂

6. Wonderful snippet. You drew me right into the tavern. I could smell the ale.
    WEWRIWA gave me the titles for two of my books. All you have to do is ask!

7. Well, that was a fun snippet! I would have reacted the same way, poor thing.

8. Nice! Box away, sounds like she’s going to have a problem in here. Love this scene, great descriptions!

9. Love it! “Just box their ears…” Really good, and quite visual, 8!

Ok, this scene was a little too vivid- I can still smell the rank beer breath. Hope she gets tough or better yet, out of there, soon!

11. Fabulous description. I sincerely hope after everything she’s been through Jenna can find her backbone and sharpen her ear-boxing skills. Great 8.

12. The entire scene was well written, but the ending made it for me. Great job!

13. S. A. Hoag says:

Box their ears indeed! Intriguing, to be sure.

14. Frank Fisher says:

I felt for poor Janna. I’m not sure if Maya’s suggestion is the best one. Great snippet overall!

15. Sarah W says:

Poor girl! Even if she did summon up the bravery to to box a customer’s ears, I doubt he’d feel it. 🙂

16. caitlinstern says:

He sounds… lovely. o_O Hopefully he’s not angry about ending up on the floor.

17. I’ve always thought you had to be pretty tough to do well as a tavern wench, so this scene proves my theory all right. Enjoyed the excerpt!

18. This snippet made me laugh. loved it

Great scene! You put me right there in the tavern.