Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 23- Braeden

wewriwaIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

When we last saw Braeden, he was being hauled off to the dungeon, his fate uncertain. After a month or so, he’s suddenly released with no explanation. and reunited with his commander and friend Prince Novitny and his trusty side-kick, Franca. Some creative punctuation and editing has been inflicted upon the following passage.

“Well it’s about time,” Novitny roared, clapping him in a rib-cracking embrace. “Thought that bitch was going back on her promise.”

“Sir,” Franca tugged at his sleeve,. “Please don’t talk about the Empress like that so loud in the middle of camp. Lots of unfriendlies about.”

“Everyone knows how I feel about that wicked hag, though you’re probably right,” he winked at Franca while steering Braeden into his tent. “If it hadn’t been for this clever girl I wouldn’t have figured out how to get you released.”

Inside the tent, Braeden collapsed into a chair while Novitny poked Franca in the ribs, “Don’t just stand around lieutenant; go see about getting the man some food. Looks like he hasn’t eaten in weeks.”

31 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 23- Braeden

I see in this incarnation of reality the women are STILL the ones feeding everyone! LOL

So are Franca and Braedon a “thing” then?

2. burnsmillie says:

I like Novitny immediately! You have me curious about several things in this eight. I’m wondering what the empress is like, and how Braeden got caught, and how Franca got him released. Well done.

3. Love it, love it, love it! Yes it is already sounding like Franca and Braeden are to become an item, I’m excited to see where this goes!

4. Carrie-Anne says:

I hope none of those unfriendlies heard what he said about the Empress!

I’m with Millie, Novitny is a great character. Happy to see Braeden out of prison and available to get into fresh trouble. Fabulous eight, as usual.

6. Oh, I wonder what it cost them to get Braeden out. Love Novitny as a character;). Great 8.

7. ralfast says:

I get the feeling that some favors come with too high a price, no?

8. Exciting with wonderful characters. You’ve taken us to a different time and place so effortlessly.

9. Good introduction of Novitny. Readers will be eager for more of him. Just as a side question – who are your POV character(s) in this?

Terrific dialogue, Christina!

11. Novitny and Franca are certainly interesting new people for us to meet…I’m wondering what exactly it took to get Braeden released. Excellent excerpt!

12. Lorien Lyn says:

Great job on the dialogue! I got a good sense of their friendship through these eight. 🙂

13. Kate Warren says:

So is Franca the brain to Novitny’s brawn then? He has a great voice, and his personality it pretty apparent, which leaves me curious about Franca, and about the plan that got Braeden released.

14. caitlinstern says:

Just because people know what you think doesn’t mean you should insult someone so powerful so loudly… Novitny is going to come to a bad end if he keeps that up!