Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 20- Janna

wewriwa

Happy New Year! It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

We last left Janna hiding in the woods with Anton, while the farm where they lived was attacked. Anyezka, Janna’s 5-year-old stepdaughter is at the farm, but there’s nothing they can do until the marauders leave. Finally, they see them coming down the road.

A woman rode at the head of the group. Tangled black curls fell down her back, over a long, dirty sheepskin coat similar to what the others wore. But while they whooped and laughed, she looked  around silently, scanning the edges of the forest. Janna shrank back.

The woman slowed her horse to a stop as she sniffed the air and Janna could have sworn her eyes glowed yellow, like an animal’s. She sniffed again, then shrugged and urged her horse on. Neither Janna nor Anton breathed until they were well down the road.

“What was that?” Anton asked, still shaking

Oh, I think we know exactly who it is- though the what may still be unclear! Guess she didn’t waste any time getting right back to work after installing Braeden in his cozy dungeon.

31 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 20- Janna

I just can’t wait to read this!

2. Joyce says:

I like the over all description and flow of the writing; however, I experienced the floating or detached body part syndrome when you wrote about tangled black curls down her back. I hope they were hers. 😉

3. Carrie-Anne says:

Sounds like a frightening encounter. It’s probably too much to hope that this is the last they see of this creature.

4. ralfast says:

Sounds like the kind of woman I don’t want to meet in a dark alley.

Beautiful details and description. I love the visual introduction to this character, really sets the tone!

6. Excellent description. Loved the yellow eyes!

7. Great visual as always, you can also really feel the intensity here. Love the eight!

8. This is intense, I really like it! Great job with the visuals and subtle tension. 🙂

I was holding my breath too! You do an excellent job of portraying her malevolence in just a few lines. Great snippet.

10. I don’t know what that woman is, but your description of her makes me want to read this book! Awesome visuals.

11. What indeed! Good suspense and imagery!

12. Lorien Lyn says:

Intriguing snippet! Great job with the description flow and character intro.

13. caitlinstern says:

That was a very scary lady, Anton. Be glad she decided against investigating whatever she sensed–or smelled. She’s definitely got a supernatural monster vibe going on there!

14. Happy New Year! Love this snippet, I am definitely intrigued and can feel the tension. Great 8 🙂

15. Sarah W says:

Whoa. Braden was pretty lucky, then, wasn’t he? o-O

This just keeps getting more and more layered, Christina—I’m really enjoying it!

16. Very tense. I was practically holding my breath while she was sniffing the air! Excellent excerpt…

17. Ah, there is something ever intoxicating to me about a badass woman in literature. I really hope it ISN’T the last they see of her. 😉

Wonderful as always! 🙂