Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 13- Kendryk

wewriwaIt’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

While Kendryk is figuring out what to do next, he has a very bad dream. He sees himself with Father Landrus on a big battlefield and is getting a closer look at the enemy, which naturally includes the empress and her allies.

He thought he might be flying, but he had no body and no wings; just eyes that could see endless distances. The enemy had row upon row of human foot-soldiers, but his blood chilled when he saw the cavalry. There were huge lizards with long barbed snouts, lions with gigantic horned heads, black wolves with strange, human eyes, and above them, great birds of prey. All were ridden by creatures who might have been human, had they been more than gray skin stretched over skeletons, with gaping black holes instead of eyes, mouths and noses.

None saw him, but Kendryk  fled back to his army with all the speed he could muster.

“You see that they have brought all of their gods,” Father Landrus said, standing next to his other, older self. “Where are yours?”

Uh-oh. What does it mean? Does it mean anything? Most importantly, will it help Kendryk make a decision? Actually, it does! This snippet was originally near the beginning, before my great reorganization, so both this  and the previous one now come much later in the story. I will try not to cause too much further confusion. 🙂

Previous weeks are here.

40 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors: Snippet 13- Kendryk

Ooo! Intriguing! I was thinking this was more a straight forward war history type fantasy, but the “gods” thing takes it to a whole new level. Yummy!

2. Freaky dream-sequence, especially the wolves with human eyes part. That just sound creepy, as I imagined my husky with human eyes… Can’t sleep, husky-man will eat me.

Fabulous imagery. The question Landrus asks is very powerful. I can imagine how it might change Kendryk’s entire life.

4. Wow! Having to face such an army is scary and intimidating. I wonder about the meaning of the Father’s question. Visual and strong snippet. Great 8.

5. Eleri Stone says:

That would be a terrifying dream. I really like how the bit of dialogue at the end adds another layer to it.

6. Frank Fisher says:

Kendryk has to make a decision, that’s for sure. I agree with the other comments about the snippet having strong visuals. Nicely done.

7. Well that’s scary and then the question really puts the cap on the whole scene. Can’t wait for more…excellent excerpt!

8. I am curious about the “brought all their gods.” Does this mean Odin, Kali or Louhi might show up? Or is it a more symbolic? Great image and hint at more to come.

9. YIKES! They’ve brought all their Gods and he’s brought nothing to the battle but dreams. Exciting snippet.

10. omg that was chilling!! i loved it! so exciting whats going to happen next?? this is how you do war!!! love everything about this snippet, Christina! xoxo

11. Very descriptive. Love the imagery. Oh, man. I hope he has gods that he can bring to this fight. :).

12. caitlinstern says:

I wouldn’t like to fight alongside something like that–I’d be worried they don’t discriminate friends from foe. But I really wouldn’t want to fight against them! Where’s a rocket launcher when you need one? 😉

13. elainecsc2013 says:

That’s a downright scary description. Well done.

14. Uh oh! Where are his gods??? That description is fantastic, Christina. That’s one war I want no part of–except maybe to read about it. 😉

15. Sarah W says:

That last line gives me goosebumps—that’s the point where I’d wake up in a cold sweat, all right.

Very interesting scene!

16. More important, who are his gods?

17. That was some great description and a terrific hook. Well done!

18. Ha, great snippet! I love that closing remark, “Where are yours?” Love the flying aspect in the beginning as well.

19. Ooh…! What are they?! That’s the kind of stuff that’ll leave you with nightmares. I like it!