Weekend Writing Warriors- Snippet 11: Braeden

wewriwa

It’s time for Weekend Writing Warriors! Every Sunday, a bunch of writers post 8-sentence snippets from their WIPs on their blogs. There’s a lot of reading, commenting and great writing. Click on the link to see the full list.

Even though I don’t like to spend more than two weeks with any one character- I feel like a guilty neglectful mother toward the others right now- I decided not to be cruel and leave you hanging. Last week, Braeden was standing toe-to-toe with Daciana Tomescu, a rather unpleasant piece of work. He’s pretty upset about the burning town and dead civilians, so he takes a rash step.

“Since you can’t produce any written orders, I will have to arrest you for engaging in illegal activities on Her Majesty’s lands. I’m going to Atlona, so I will take you there and  the Empress can vouch for you, if she likes.”

“You’re a brave man Braeden Terris,” Tomescu laughed, her eyes turning dark again. “The Empress won’t be happy that you interfered with me and killed some of my people. Though I suppose that shaggy head of yours will look well enough on a spike above the market gate,” she added with a shrug.

Braeden wondered how she knew his name, but didn’t want to give her the satisfaction of asking. “Lieutenant, please secure the lady,” he said to Miro, hoping his tone made it clear she was no such thing. “And Captain, please see that all the other raiders are tied together and taken back to camp.”

All previous snippets can be found here.

35 comments on “Weekend Writing Warriors- Snippet 11: Braeden

It’s little details like feeling that tension hanging between them that makes your work seem so real. You sure have got this, Christina!

2. So if I understand you correctly….you’ll leave us hanging next week instead When you go onto another character ? 🙂 Great snippet.

3. Braeden is not a funny guy. I hope he really knows what he is doing, I kind of like him, a beheading would be awful.

4. Like mentioned above – you write tension so well. And the characterization is so strong even in this short snippet. Well crafted writing!

5. historysleuth1 says:

Oh she is a sassy one. Love her shaggy head on a spike line. 🙂 That’s just perfect. Great 8 with lots going on.
    History Sleuth – Milk Carton Murders

6. Fine snippet. You’ve taken me to time and place where I’m the observer to a catastrophe. Strong characters written so well

7. Oh, I like how nice and vague she is ad the way her eyes change. Her line about his head on a pike is wonderful. Great job.

I think he’s going to regret bringing her along. Just lop of her head, Braeden, and run! Love how she oozes wickedness.

9. Love the tension between them. Great battle of wills beginning here!

10. Millie Burns says:

Oh my, I don’t see this ending well. The writing is crisp and drew me right in. Nicely done.

11. Eleri Stone says:

Wonderful tension and an interesting development to the story.

12. This will probably make more sense in context, but it’s scary enough as it is.

13. Amelia Jane says:

Nicely done, Christina. I totally relate to her. 😉 Great tension, can’t wait to see how this unfolds!

Sounds like he has his hands full.

15. These two definitely don’t see eye to eye but I enjoyed their crackling dialog! Can’t wait for more…terrific snippet.

16. caitlinstern says:

He’s only following his orders, sounds like–but somehow I doubt the boss of someone as… refined… as Tomescu will let him get away with interfering.

17. I can really feel the intensity in this scene.

18. Ooh! These she’s are in trouble! Great snippet, I love the heated moment that you created!

19. Great snippet, the tension between the two is palpable, and you’ve pulled in some great characterization as well – one who seems to like to play by the rules and another who… well, perhaps she prefers to make her own rules. 🙂